Toledoans put their breast foot forward

Emily Jackson

Emily Jackson, Co-community Editor

Every year, an estimated 14 million people around the world are diagnosed with cancer, and eight million people die from the disease. According to the American Cancer Society, Ohio alone is predicted to have more than 66,000 new cancer cases by the end of 2016.

But even in the face of these daunting statistics, there is still hope.

As researchers and scientists around the world work to put an end to cancer, residents of Northwest Ohio are doing their own part to fight this epidemic.

About 10,000 people gathered in downtown Toledo Sept. 25 for the 23rd annual Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio Race for the Cure. The race is held to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer research and also to honor victims and survivors of breast cancer.

On race day, the streets became a river of pink as adults, babies and even dogs showed up to participate in the 5k and support those who were there. Many participating in the event did so in memory of a loved one who lost their battle with cancer.

“Don’t wait until you lose somebody before you support them,” said Sharon McDaniels, who walked the 5k with her granddaughter.

McDaniels said she has attended the race ever since she lost her mother to cancer 10 years ago.

Many others attended in celebration of victory over the disease. About 1,400 survivors took part in the pre-race survivor parade as a powerful testimony of endurance and hope.

There was also a special pre-race ceremony which included prayer, bagpipes and the presenting of a $55,000 check from the Northwest Ohio Ford Dealers to help the Komen Foundation reach its one-million-dollar fundraising goal.

Michele Murnen Rice, an eight-year breast cancer survivor and president of the Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio board, was present to receive the check and said that every donation and participant makes a difference.

“It’s to give back to the community,” Rice said. “To raise money, to be able to interact with these different people who have gone through the same journey as I have and to kind of give them hope and let them know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and we’re working hard to raise the money and find a cure.”

Seventy-five percent of all funds raised will stay in the Toledo area to fund local grants, that provide breast health services such as screenings, diagnostic services, breast cancer treatments and other patient assistance.

The other 25 percent will go towards funding national research aimed at finding the cures for breast cancer.

Desmond Strooh, marketing and communication manager for Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio, says his friends have been his motivation to fundraise.

“A dear friend of mine and her mother were diagnosed with breast cancer within three weeks of each other,” Strooh said. “Seeing their struggle and pain gives me fire to get going and help fund the research grants that are aimed at finding the cures for breast cancer.”