Republican nominee Donald Trump holds rally in Toledo

Gage Skidmore

Jessica Harker, Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, Sept. 21, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and his vice presidential nominee Mike Pence visited the Stranahan Theater on Heatherdowns Blvd. in Toledo to rally with their supporters.

Trump opened up the event with remarks about how great his campaign was doing in the polls, citing the Bloomberg polls, which ranked Trump up five points in Ohio over opponent and the Democratic nominee, Hillary Clinton.

“On Nov. 5, we’re going to win this state, we’re going to win the White House.” Trump said.

The Stranahan was packed full during the rally, and many were forced to leave because

there was no more seating, according to Trump.

Trump talked about his stance on many issues, including his economic plans, along with trade, taxes, healthcare and much more. He emphasized his tax plan, which he plans to immediately put in place upon his election. The plan would drop tax rates for all businesses down to 15 percent from 35 percent, making the United States “a magnet for new jobs.”

Trump cited how excessive regulation costs the economy 2 trillion dollars a year, how he planned to put this money back in the pockets of the American people by ending illegal trade abuses by other countries and increasing U.S. trades. He also discussed how one of his main concerns, were he to become president, would be safety and protection against “radical Islamic terrorism.” He challenged Clinton, by claiming that she would not even say the term “radical Islamic terrorism” and could not possibly protect the country from this threat.

“It’s going to get worse. If Hillary were president, it would be a disaster. If Trump were president you would be very, very happy,” Trump said to the crowd.

Trump promised that on the first day of his presidency, he would ask Congress for a bill that “repeals and replaces Obamacare,” suspend admission of Syrian refugees, revise Obama’s job policies and terminate the “illegal or job killing policies” that Obama created.

“Public servants are just that, they’re here to serve you,” Trump said.

There was a group of protesters outside of the building during the rally; however, no real altercations were reported between the Trump supporters and protesters.

During the rally, Trump said that the whole focus of his campaign is to put the power back into the hands of the people.

“We’re going to replace our failing and corrupt establishment so that it serves you, your family, your country,” Trump said. “You’re going to be happy.”