Love shouldn’t hurt

Emily Jackson, Co-community Editor

Nearly 24 people in the United States become victims of rape or physical violence at the hand of an intimate partner every minute. Over 12 million people in the U.S. alone become victims of domestic violence every year.
October is ‘Domestic Violence Awareness’ month and one University of Toledo fraternity is hoping to shed some light on this exceedingly pertinent issue. Alpha Chi Omega’s first “Love Shouldn’t Hurt Luminary” vigil will take place Oct. 19 at 5 p.m. on the steps of the Student Union to honor the lives of fallen victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Amber Creviston, vice president of philanthropy for Alpha Chi Omega, has planned this year’s awareness events and said UT students and community members are invited to come out and take part in this unique opportunity.
“There will be tables set up prior to the event with educational items, purple ribbons, a table to decorate your own luminary and a table when you can take a pledge against domestic violence,” Creviston said.

The event will feature speakers from the Sexual Assault Education and Prevention Program and the Young Women’s Christian Association HOPE Center along with personal stories from domestic violence survivors.
Anna Wagenhauser, a second-year economics major and a member of Alpha Chi Omega, said she will be attending the event to support those who have survived and are still living with the effects of domestic violence.
“Alpha Chi Omegas have been decorating luminaries — paper bags with candles inside — with positive messages for domestic violence survivors,” Wagenhauser said. “I have friends who have personally experienced domestic violence in relationships, and I want to show my support to others in similar situations.”
This isn’t the only event the fraternity has planned for this month.
Alpha Chi Omega hosted a donut fundraiser earlier this month entitled “Donut Let Love Hurt” in the Student Union and will also be hosting a rock climbing competition, Alpha Chi Omega’s first annual “Seek the Heights,” Oct. 23, from 12-2 p.m. at Carter Field.
Creviston has also planned a November philanthropy dinner called “Nacho Night” where tote bags from the brand Thirty-One will be sold to benefit the Bethany House.
The house is located in Toledo and serves as a long-term shelter for victims and their children who are escaping domestic violence in Northwest Ohio.
Since 1984, Bethany House has served more than 1,200 individuals and provided more than 200,000 nights of safe shelter for victims and their children.
All funds raised from Alpha Chi Omega’s domestic violence events will be donated to support this safe haven for domestic violence survivors.
Lindsay Tuttle, Sexual Assault and Substance Abuse Prevention Education Coordinator for SAEPP, says bringing awareness to this global issue is essential to the fight against domestic violence.
“It is important that our community understands it is on all of us to cultivate a culture of mutual respect,” Tuttle said. “We want to continue to cultivate a safe and healthy culture here at The University of Toledo; this is done through education, prevention, and awareness events.”