Nieszczur: I won’t take the blame anymore

Alexis Nieszczur, IC Columnist

From the girl whose automatic response is “I’m sorry” even when it’s not my fault, who doesn’t honk even when you cut me off and who won’t stand up for myself when I’m blatantly being disrespected: I’m telling you that it’s time to toughen up.

Ever had an experience that leaves you questioning if you can do anything right? Ever felt so beaten down that you start to forget your worth? I had an experience this past summer that left me feeling this way. I was lied to, disrespected and made to feel that I wasn’t even capable of completing simple tasks. I didn’t counter the attacks; I stood there and took it. This left me heartbroken, debilitated and depressed. Instead of letting it go or really analyzing the situation, I let it eat at me. I started to believe what had been told to me. I greeted each day with an “I’m useless anyway” attitude and didn’t see a point in trying. With that attitude, I let the person who disrespected me win. I let their words have their intended effect.

After weeks of harboring these feelings and feeling sorry for myself, I finally confided in friends who helped to set the record straight. I realized that I wasn’t the things that this person had tried to convince me that I was. I realized that I couldn’t let others define my worth; only I had the power to do this. This was the day that I let these feelings go and from that day on, things began to change.

No longer did I feel obligated to sit and take others’ criticisms. No longer was I the butt of the joke. I’ll honk my horn every now and again and I may even say “It’s okay” instead of “I’m sorry.” I no longer feel like a pushover; rather, I feel empowered. I know myself and my worth and I won’t let that be compromised again.

Looking forward to the New Year, I challenge you to stop blaming yourself. Surely, none of us are perfect but sometimes it really isn’t you, it’s them — and don’t let ‘them’ get you down. Stop taking the fall for others. Stop compromising your worth and making excuses for yourself. You are worth it.

When you’re having a bad day, remember all the good that you have influenced in the world. Remember all the blessings you have and all the people who love and care about you. Don’t let the bad boss, poor friend, jealous coworker or whoever it may be question your integrity. Next year is a new slate and start believing that it’s not always you. Alexis Nieszczur is a PharmD student in the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.