image_pdfimage_print

Grab him by the policy

Grab him by the policy

Areeba Shah, Staff Reporter
February 7
Filed under Community

“The Women's March sent the message that we are not powerless and our situation is not hopeless. It was important to me that I was on the right side of history, so I went back to Toledo and got to work.” Jen Tharau, a fourth-year public health major at the University of Toledo and member of the...

Puck Cancer

Puck Cancer

Emily Schnipke, Managing Editor
February 7
Filed under Community

It’s time to hit the ice and save lives at the same time. On Feb. 10, UT Drop the Puck on Cancer will host its first event at the University of Toledo. Teams of fraternities and sororities will duke it out on the hockey rink to raise money for brain cancer research. “Cancer is something that...

Single and ready to mingle

Single and ready to mingle

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
February 7
Filed under Community

Students were given the opportunity Thursday night to mingle and enjoy a night of entertainment all while being immersed in Chinese American culture. The University of Toledo’s Chinese American Student Associate hosted Singles Night Feb. 2 at R&B Bubble Tea KTV. “The purpose of Singles...

Author and activist speaks to UT “I am not broken”

Author and activist speaks to UT “I am not broken”

January 31
Filed under Community

“Strangers pat me on the head, they whisper… things about courage and inspiration. They declare me special.” Eli Clare, a writer and activist, spoke these words on Jan. 30 in Memorial Field House at the University of Toledo to a crowd of different ages, abilities and sexualities. Clare used...

A cast of creativity

A cast of creativity

Emily Jackson, Community Editor
January 31
Filed under Community

Creating a theatrical masterpiece takes months, even years to perfect. Memorizing lines, making props and costumes, creating sound effects and music and organizing the play takes a lot of time and effort. But what if you could cram all that creativity and work into a 24-hour time period? Behold, the...

Sigma Lambda Beta celebrates a melting pot

Sigma Lambda Beta celebrates a melting pot

January 31
Filed under Community

When it comes to diversity, the University of Toledo is a melting pot. Students of different cultures and backgrounds are an integral part of campus and specific events are hosted on campus to promote cultural awareness. Noche de Cultura was one such event, held in Rocky’s Attic Jan. 27 at 6:30...

Toledo loves Arabs

Toledo loves Arabs

January 24
Filed under Community, News, Top Stories

“I’m just going to live my life and I’m not going to live in fear. I mean, I did at first, but now I’m not.” These strong words were said by fourth-year University of Toledo student Malak Ayache, whose house was vandalized just last week in what the Sylvania Police report referred to as “ethnic...

Drop it like a squat

Drop it like a squat

Emily Jackson, Community Editor
January 24
Filed under Community

Twenty-five days ago, we rang in the new year with clinking glasses of champagne, cheers and maybe even a few tears. After a long year wrought with evil clown sightings, too many celebrity deaths and a harrowing presidential election, I’d say most of us were more than ready to forget 2016 ever happened. But,...

Standing ‘United’ in Toledo

Standing ‘United’ in Toledo

January 17
Filed under Community

“We as citizens need to remember our president works for us. Our senators and legislators works for us. But we have to speak with a unified voice of how we want them to carry our voice forward. And if we are silent, they aren’t going to hear us.” This is the point of the Unity March and Celebration...

CAP and Canvas

CAP and Canvas

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
January 17
Filed under Community

If you’ve always wanted to try your hand at painting but didn’t really know where to start, now’s your chance to try something new and create your own work of art. The University of Toledo’s Campus Activities and Programming is hosting ‘CAP and Canvas’ on Jan. 19. The event is an art class...

Experiencing your own diversity

Experiencing your own diversity

January 17
Filed under Community

This Saturday, the University of Toledo invites students and community members to experience their own diversity in a whole new way at the annual Winter Scholarship Gala. The gala will be hosted by the Filipino American Association (FAA), Jan. 21 at 4:30 p.m. in the Student Union Auditorium and is...

UT student makes the American dream a reality

UT student makes the American dream a reality

January 10
Filed under Community

Owning your own business is the real American dream. Thousands immigrate to the United States to try and achieve this goal. But for one fourth-year UT student, she has already accomplished the dream. Eileen Iannone is the owner and manager of Bleak House Coffee in downtown Toledo. Iannone, who is majoring...

Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
Community