image_pdfimage_print

Toledo gets jazzy

Toledo gets jazzy

Mariah Williams, Staff Reporter
February 21, 2017
Filed under Community

Each year, more than 200 music lovers in the Toledo community gather for a jazz-style piano concert. The University of Toledo Department of Music Jazz Studies Program hosted their 26th annual Art Tatum Memorial Jazz Scholarship Concert Feb. 20 from 7 – 8 p.m. in UT’s Center for Performing Arts...

The Year of the Rooster

The Year of the Rooster

Mariah Williams, Staff Reporter
February 14, 2017
Filed under Community

Students enjoyed an afternoon of food, fun and games, all while celebrating Chinese culture. The Confucius Institute at the University of Toledo celebrated their fifth annual Chinese New Year and Spring Festival Feb. 13 from 11 to 2 p.m. at their free event in the Student Union Auditorium. The...

Healthy relationships matter

Healthy relationships matter

Emily Schnipke, Managing Editor
February 14, 2017
Filed under Community

Being in a relationship in 2017 is a completely different world than it was when our grandparents were doing the jitterbug. Romantic relationships for college students start from text messages, Tinder, mutual friendships, group projects or even running into each other at Chasers. But these casual...

Student Leadership Conference held at UT

Student Leadership Conference held at UT

Areeba Shah, Staff Reporter
February 14, 2017
Filed under Community

“Dreams you want to talk about become fantasy, the dreams you work to live become a reality.” These are the words of Frank Kitchen, who was voted one of "America's Most Eligible Bachelors" in Complete Woman Magazine and asked to audition for ABC’s "The Bachelorette.” Kitchen is a professional...

Grab him by the policy

Grab him by the policy

February 7, 2017
Filed under Community

“The Women's March sent the message that we are not powerless and our situation is not hopeless. It was important to me that I was on the right side of history, so I went back to Toledo and got to work.” Jen Tharau, a fourth-year public health major at the University of Toledo and member of the...

Puck Cancer

Puck Cancer

February 7, 2017
Filed under Community

It’s time to hit the ice and save lives at the same time. On Feb. 10, UT Drop the Puck on Cancer will host its first event at the University of Toledo. Teams of fraternities and sororities will duke it out on the hockey rink to raise money for brain cancer research. “Cancer is something that...

Single and ready to mingle

Single and ready to mingle

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
February 7, 2017
Filed under Community

Students were given the opportunity Thursday night to mingle and enjoy a night of entertainment all while being immersed in Chinese American culture. The University of Toledo’s Chinese American Student Associate hosted Singles Night Feb. 2 at R&B Bubble Tea KTV. “The purpose of Singles...

Author and activist speaks to UT “I am not broken”

Author and activist speaks to UT “I am not broken”

January 31, 2017
Filed under Community

“Strangers pat me on the head, they whisper… things about courage and inspiration. They declare me special.” Eli Clare, a writer and activist, spoke these words on Jan. 30 in Memorial Field House at the University of Toledo to a crowd of different ages, abilities and sexualities. Clare used...

A cast of creativity

A cast of creativity

Emily Jackson, Community Editor
January 31, 2017
Filed under Community

Creating a theatrical masterpiece takes months, even years to perfect. Memorizing lines, making props and costumes, creating sound effects and music and organizing the play takes a lot of time and effort. But what if you could cram all that creativity and work into a 24-hour time period? Behold, the...

Sigma Lambda Beta celebrates a melting pot

Sigma Lambda Beta celebrates a melting pot

January 31, 2017
Filed under Community

When it comes to diversity, the University of Toledo is a melting pot. Students of different cultures and backgrounds are an integral part of campus and specific events are hosted on campus to promote cultural awareness. Noche de Cultura was one such event, held in Rocky’s Attic Jan. 27 at 6:30...

Toledo loves Arabs

Toledo loves Arabs

January 24, 2017
Filed under Community, News, Top Stories

“I’m just going to live my life and I’m not going to live in fear. I mean, I did at first, but now I’m not.” These strong words were said by fourth-year University of Toledo student Malak Ayache, whose house was vandalized just last week in what the Sylvania Police report referred to as “ethnic...

Drop it like a squat

Drop it like a squat

Emily Jackson, Community Editor
January 24, 2017
Filed under Community

Twenty-five days ago, we rang in the new year with clinking glasses of champagne, cheers and maybe even a few tears. After a long year wrought with evil clown sightings, too many celebrity deaths and a harrowing presidential election, I’d say most of us were more than ready to forget 2016 ever happened. But,...

Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
Community