image_pdfimage_print

A mermaid in a sea of fish

A mermaid in a sea of fish

Amber Thomas, Community Co-Editor
November 8
Filed under Community, Fashion

As soon as I turned 16, I desperately searched for a job, which turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. I applied to any and every place, including McDonald’s, and even they turned me down. Come on. I was private school educated, active in my community and just darn right cute! Who wouldn’t...

Pitch your idea and build your brand

Pitch your idea and build your brand

Amber Thomas, Community Co-Editor
November 1
Filed under Community

Do you have an entrepreneurial venture that is veering in various directions, which results in you wanting to blow your brains out? What about a business idea that you are unsure of how to start? If any of this sounds familiar, Pitch and Pour might be the event for you. The Launch Pad Incubation program...

Scaring away cancer

Scaring away cancer

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
November 1
Filed under Community

On your marks, get set, scare! On Saturday, Oct. 29, The University of Toledo partnered with Relay for Life and put on the first annual Scare Away Cancer 5k race. “We had about 80 people come, which for a 5k on UT’s campus on a Saturday morning, that’s a pretty good turnout, especially when...

Costumes and candy on the court

Costumes and candy on the court

Emily Jackson, Community Co-editor
November 1
Filed under Community

Halloween is the time for candy, fun and ... basketball? The University of Toledo basketball teams hosted Tricks, Treats, and Dunks Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. in Savage Arena. This is the third year of the annual event. Rocket fans and community members were invited to the free and open event that included...

I approve this message

I approve this message

Emily Schnipke, Managing Editor
October 25
Filed under Community

As October is nearing its end and November is on the rise, we are finally starting to see the end of what has become one of the most exhausting political campaign seasons in history. People are calling it “the most important election in this century” or even “in history”. Well, one thing is for...

Ready, set, write!

Ready, set, write!

Emily Jackson, Co-Community Editor
October 25
Filed under Community

50,000 words. 100 pages. 30 days. Think you’ve got what it takes? Here’s your chance to find out. November is National Novel Writing Month, otherwise known as NaNoWriMo. During this one month, writers from around the world take on the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days. For...

UT fraternity hosts Miss Black and Gold pageant

UT fraternity hosts Miss Black and Gold pageant

Amber Thomas, Co-Community Editor
October 25
Filed under Community

When you think about a pageant, what comes to your mind? The pretty dresses and long sashes? Or maybe the sparkly tiaras the winner receives? What about the relentless dreams of ending world hunger in third world countries? And lastly, do you think about the extensively long — and probably painful...

Daymond John comes to UT

Daymond John comes to UT

Amber Thomas, Community-Co Editor
October 18
Filed under Community, Top Stories

Daymond John, CEO and founder of the 90’s era FUBU brand and an investor on ABC'S reality television series Shark Tank, spoke to University of Toledo students and community members yesterday, Oct. 18, at the Nitschke Auditorium as part of the Jesup Scott Honors College Distinguished Lecture Series. As...

Being a shorty has its perks

Being a shorty has its perks

Emily Jackson, Co-community Editor
October 18
Filed under Community

“I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller. I wish I had a girl who looked good; I would call her…” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve sang these Skee-Lo lyrics while climbing the shelving at work or clambering on-top of my kitchen counter to reach that hidden bag of marshmallows. Let...

True nutritional value

True nutritional value

October 18
Filed under Community

“Toledo has a huge issue with food insecurity. About one in six individuals in Ohio are food insecure. This means that they are not sure where their next meal is going to come from; they’re not sure that they are able to afford food.” According to Jessica Kruger, a doctoral student in Health Education...

Carlson Library rocks out

Carlson Library rocks out

October 11
Filed under Community

It’s a beautiful part of nature that we don’t see and often take for granted. Every step you take, there are approximately 3,800 miles of Earth standing between you and the center of the planet. The very top layer of the Earth’s surface, or the crust, is anywhere between zero to 100 kilometers...

Love shouldn’t hurt

Love shouldn’t hurt

Emily Jackson, Co-community Editor
October 11
Filed under Community

Nearly 24 people in the United States become victims of rape or physical violence at the hand of an intimate partner every minute. Over 12 million people in the U.S. alone become victims of domestic violence every year. October is ‘Domestic Violence Awareness’ month and one University of Toledo...

Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
Community