image_pdfimage_print

The Rockets sound off

The Rockets sound off

Emily Jackson, Community Co-Editor
November 15, 2016
Filed under Community

Say goodbye to tailgates and touchdowns. The Rocket football season is coming to a close soon. But if you’re not ready to part with the pigskin just yet, the Rocket Marching Band has something extra special in store for you. For their fourth consecutive year, the University of Toledo’s marching...

Hard work always pays off

Hard work always pays off

Amber Thomas, Community Co-Editor
November 15, 2016
Filed under Community

With finals creeping around the corner and a daunting amount of work looming ahead, do you ever wonder if your hard work will truly pay off? For Tyrone Jacobs, a fourth-year student majoring in electrical engineering, not only has he been able to secure internships with three Fortune 500 companies,...

Framing morality for the political season

Framing morality for the political season

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
November 8, 2016
Filed under Community

The 2016 election cycle is coming to a close and, last Thursday, University of Toledo students and surrounding community members were welcomed to a lecture to gear them up for the election. On Nov. 3, UT’s Center for Religious Understanding hosted its annual Murray/Bacik Lecture. This year’s lecture,...

A toast to the fighters

A toast to the fighters

Emily Jackson, Community Co-Editor
November 8, 2016
Filed under Community

“I spent more time in the hospital than out of the hospital. I was so sick of being sick.” Sarah Satowski was diagnosed with kidney failure at 18 years old and has been on and off dialysis for the past 20 years. She has undergone three kidney transplants, 25 surgeries and numerous mechanical ventilations. Her...

A mermaid in a sea of fish

A mermaid in a sea of fish

November 8, 2016
Filed under Community, Fashion

As soon as I turned 16, I desperately searched for a job, which turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. I applied to any and every place, including McDonald’s, and even they turned me down. Come on. I was private school educated, active in my community and just darn right cute! Who wouldn’t...

Pitch your idea and build your brand

Pitch your idea and build your brand

November 1, 2016
Filed under Community

Do you have an entrepreneurial venture that is veering in various directions, which results in you wanting to blow your brains out? What about a business idea that you are unsure of how to start? If any of this sounds familiar, Pitch and Pour might be the event for you. The Launch Pad Incubation program...

Scaring away cancer

Scaring away cancer

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
November 1, 2016
Filed under Community

On your marks, get set, scare! On Saturday, Oct. 29, The University of Toledo partnered with Relay for Life and put on the first annual Scare Away Cancer 5k race. “We had about 80 people come, which for a 5k on UT’s campus on a Saturday morning, that’s a pretty good turnout, especially when...

Costumes and candy on the court

Costumes and candy on the court

Emily Jackson, Community Co-editor
November 1, 2016
Filed under Community

Halloween is the time for candy, fun and ... basketball? The University of Toledo basketball teams hosted Tricks, Treats, and Dunks Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. in Savage Arena. This is the third year of the annual event. Rocket fans and community members were invited to the free and open event that included...

I approve this message

I approve this message

Emily Schnipke, Managing Editor
October 25, 2016
Filed under Community

As October is nearing its end and November is on the rise, we are finally starting to see the end of what has become one of the most exhausting political campaign seasons in history. People are calling it “the most important election in this century” or even “in history”. Well, one thing is for...

Ready, set, write!

Ready, set, write!

Emily Jackson, Co-Community Editor
October 25, 2016
Filed under Community

50,000 words. 100 pages. 30 days. Think you’ve got what it takes? Here’s your chance to find out. November is National Novel Writing Month, otherwise known as NaNoWriMo. During this one month, writers from around the world take on the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days. For...

UT fraternity hosts Miss Black and Gold pageant

UT fraternity hosts Miss Black and Gold pageant

Amber Thomas, Co-Community Editor
October 25, 2016
Filed under Community

When you think about a pageant, what comes to your mind? The pretty dresses and long sashes? Or maybe the sparkly tiaras the winner receives? What about the relentless dreams of ending world hunger in third world countries? And lastly, do you think about the extensively long — and probably painful...

Daymond John comes to UT

Daymond John comes to UT

Amber Thomas, Community-Co Editor
October 18, 2016
Filed under Community, Top Stories

Daymond John, CEO and founder of the 90’s era FUBU brand and an investor on ABC'S reality television series Shark Tank, spoke to University of Toledo students and community members yesterday, Oct. 18, at the Nitschke Auditorium as part of the Jesup Scott Honors College Distinguished Lecture Series. As...

Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
Community