Title IX complaint filed: UT safety dinner held to discuss sexual assault options and advocacy program

Amanda Pitrof, News Editor

A campus safety dinner was held by university officials on Monday, Sept. 9 in light of the recent Title IX sexual assault case.

Kaye Patten Wallace, senior vice president for student affairs, prefaced the presentations with an explanation of the purpose of this dinner.

“We’re here this evening because it’s important to me that we want to reiterate first of all the University of Toledo’s commitment to sexual assault safety and awareness.” Patten Wallace said. “Also, to your safety overall. And we wanted most importantly to make sure that you are aware of all the resources that are available to you should you or someone you know become a sexual assault victim.”

She then introduced Stanley Edwards, director of the university counseling center, who spoke partially about the Sexual Assault Education and Prevention Program that is in place to offer help to and advocacy for survivors as well as to educate students about sexual assault.

“We have three trained sexual assault advocates,” Edwards said. “A sexual assault advocate is there to provide support for each student who becomes a victim of sexual assault.”

Edwards said the goal is to train four or five more advocates this fall.

Kevin West, senior director faculty relations and inclusion officer and Title IX investigator, presented next, speaking about the processes and options available to a student who has been sexually assaulted.

“When, in fact, a student is a victim of sexual assault, obviously their educational experience has been challenged by that event,” West said, expressing that there are steps in place to change classes and housing if they are necessary to improving the student’s feeling of safety and ability to learn.

“Our goal is to try to make sure that all students feel safe,” West said, “but also particularly for female students, that their educational experience is not hampered in any way by these events. That’s why it’s so important that we’re able to put those accommodations in place as soon as possible.”

UT’s Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police Jeff Newton followed West, calling sexual assault one of the most difficult crimes to deal with on campus.

Despite being hard to deal with, Newton was very clear on UTPD’s stance on the issue.

“[Sexual assault] is not allowed. It’s against the law. It’s a crime,” Newton said.

To allow police assistance in sexual assault issues, Newton said he hopes to create a culture where students report any and all incidences to UTPD.

“I’ll be working out a revision of the sexual assault policy that will hopefully come soon,” Newton said. “We’re working with many stakeholders to make sure that we cover all the areas.”