Weekly Launch

The IC Sports staff counts down the top UT football stories of the week

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo football team is on the hunt for a MAC title, and the IC Sports staff is here to bring you all this year’s action as it happens. This is Weekly Launch, a feature counting down the top UT stories heading into each new week of the season.

Hunt’s season slowed with injuries

What is wrong with sophomore running back Kareem Hunt?

It is a question UT head coach Matt Campbell was asked immediately following Toledo’s Saturday night victory over Ball State, and the query came up again during the Rockets’ weekly media session Monday afternoon.

The concerning part is that, according to Campbell, it is a question without a definitive answer.

“It’s not one of those things where it’s going to keep him out for the season or things like that,” he said. “I think it’s just one of those things where we have to continue to see where he’s at from a full strength standpoint.

“I don’t think it is specific. It’s been all over the place the last few weeks. He’s taken some big hits in both football games the last two weeks that have really just limited his ability to be in the football game at full strength.”

Hunt has run for over 100 yards in each game so far this season, but he has been sidelined in the second half of each of the Rockets’ last two contests. He finished Saturday night’s matchup with Ball State on crutches and wearing a walking boot.

“Will [Hunt] play this week? I don’t know if we really have an answer to that,” Campbell said. “I think we will probably know Wednesday or Thursday, we’ll see where he’s at and where he’s progressed at that point.”

Hunt is fifth in the nation with 8.85 yards per carry and seventh in the nation in rushing with 527 yards. He is tied for third-most rushing touchdowns in the nation with seven in just four games.

Limited Chance to See the Rockets

Rocket fans have been able to enjoy three home games so far, but only three more of their matchups will be played in the Glass Bowl this season.

Luckily for fans, ESPN’s family of networks will be covering all of Toledo’s away games, but the lack of remaining home bouts is still a surprising fact, particularly for UT’s seniors.

“I didn’t realize we had only three home games left until someone just said something today,” said senior wide receiver Justin Olack. “I’m definitely going to take these last home games in.”

The Rockets’ final home game of 2014 will be against the Bowling Green Falcons on November 19 at 8 p.m.

Mid-American Conference West Player of the Week

Once again, a Rocket has been named among the Mid-American Conference’s top players.

Last week, UT quarterback Logan Woodside was named offensive player of the week. This week, wide receiver and return specialist Corey Jones was named MAC West Special Teams Player of the Week.

Jones had 164 all-purpose yards last Saturday against Ball State, including two punt returns of 35 and 31 yards. He also added 76 kickoff return yards on the night against the Cardinals.