Letter to the editor: Alcohol-free tailgate — a logical way to tailgate

Jessica Sloan

Editor’s note: This letter to the editor is in response to the editorial “Alcohol-free tailgating illogical” published in the Independent Collegian on Oct. 1.

Life is full of choices, some easier than others. You can choose to view the cup half full or half empty, either way, it’s a choice. Just like students should have the choice if they want to tailgate with or without alcohol.

Those who choose to tailgate with alcohol should do so if they please and those who do not want to be around students who are drinking should also have the opportunity to do so. Having an alcohol-free tailgate is not a “good intention,” it is a space where people do not have to be bombarded with peer pressure to drink. Some people prefer not to be around others who drink because they are recovering alcoholics or have other health conditions that prevent them from being able to partake. Going to an event without alcohol helps them to avoid that awkward conversation.

Tailgating without alcohol does not mean condemning it, but rather a way to celebrate that you are awesome even when you are sober. There is nothing misguided about allowing students to have the freedom to choose between being around alcohol and not being around alcohol. In respecting people’s decisions, having the opportunity to be alcohol-free at a tailgate should be a logical choice.

Furthermore the comparison between an alcohol-free tailgate and abstinence-only education is a strange way to make a point. Sex and the use of alcohol are both choices, with sex you can choose to have it or not. You can also choose to be or not be around your friends while they are having sex. Alcohol use is also a choice, and if people want to use it that is fine, and if they want to abstain that is fine. The point is that an alcohol-free tailgate gives those who want it a choice. A choice to not be around a bunch of drunken college students.

In promoting that college students are independent thoughtful individuals who can look at an issue and make their own decisions, including having the opportunity to go to an alcohol-free tailgate is a completely logical choice. Which does not demonize or make either choice “evil”. In going to college you should be learning to become your own person, with your own thoughts, beliefs, feelings and values. If you feel that you do not want to be around alcohol you should have a place that is designated to you and your values.

Jessica Sloan, doctoral student in health education

1 Comment

• JackPumpkin

How are traditional tailgate parties NOT in violation of open-container laws? Never understood that.

[Reply]