Letter to the editor: Is Palestine completely blameless?

This reader of The Independent Collegian found last week’s article on Students for Justice in Palestine dishonest, whether it was intentionally so or not. While I do not deny atrocities and injustices have been met on the Palestinian people by Israel, who has been unilaterally protected from reprimand by the United States, I find it laughable to think Palestinians are innocent in this socio-political-religious quagmire. This article gives the distinct impression that the actions of Israel are a sign of malice towards Palestinians. Let me ask my fellow readers this; does anyone truly, including the members of the Students for Justice in Palestine, think these acts are unwarranted by Israel?

First I feel the need to address the use of the term apartheid and the objections to the restriction of movement through the wall itself. Israel, I’m sure no one could conceivably disagree, has the right to defend its territory and citizens. It is a fact that Israel is under daily attack by Islamic and nationalistic terrorist groups daily. It’s also a fact that since the construction of the West Bank wall, terrorist attacks have dropped dramatically in the West Bank/Israeli border. These checkpoints and the scrutiny of admission are not malevolent acts by Israeli’s to punish Palestinians. These are sensible and quite reasonable actions of state protecting itself and its citizens. How are these actions unreasonable considering the constant and imminent threat faced by the Israelis? By no stretch of the imagination is this an apologist argument for every action Israel has partaken in within the West Bank, but Palestine has absolutely no right to act like it is blameless in this situation.

Secondly, I must address the remark by Derek Ide in regards to the SJP intentions with their demonstration. To quote him from the article, “Rolls-Royce, you may know them for their cars, but they also make weapons, which are then sold to Israel and are used in their campaigns.” You do understand that these campaigns are not limited to the West Bank Barrier, but in fighting terrorist groups like Hamas in the Gaza Strip, which I’m sure we can all recall from earlier this summer? This is without mentioning its campaigns throughout the Middle-East against Islamic terrorists that aren’t directly attacking its borders.

These are the simple ruminations and opinions of the author, however. I have great sympathy, believe it or not, for the injustices that are carried out against the Palestinians, regardless of who the perpetrators are, but I think it’s increasingly troublesome that there are far more people who shift the blame solely towards Israel and not the very violent groups within and without, that kill just as many Palestinians as they do Israelis. To drive my point — does Israel conduct suicide bombings against Palestinians or Israelis? Does Israel station soldiers inside its citizen’s homes? Does Israel hide its soldiers amongst civilians? Does Israel kidnap children as hostages?

• An anonymous undecided first-year

4 Comments

• Angela Horne

Israel’s side of the story …
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDWZZEI7ILwl_gBJFeb5TGHAutRoHhuKq

[Reply]

Anne Abowd Reply:

did you happen to notice in small print : “695 Palestinians killed; 35 Israel’s killed”? Deaths in Palestine reached over 3,000 by the end of the latest Israeli massacre. Please view Dr. Mads Gilbert’s first-hand account to get the real picture-not the US distortion: http://youtu.be/JV2wNvKG6NY

[Reply]

Angela Horne Reply:

pal fights the same fight year on year, sometimes it flares up, you would think they would learn from history that they never win, just how stupid are they?

[Reply]

Anne Abowd Reply:

First, the name of the country is PALESTINE. It’s been there for over 2,000 years. “They” are virtually unarmed. Israel- an illegal state, by the way-is the fourth largest nuclear power in the world, and has contrived a reason every three years like clockwork, to mercilessly destroy the entire infrastructure of Gaza as a way of finally eliminating or displacing an entire indigenous people from their own land. Human rights abuses abound-every day brings new atrocities upon Palestinians whose homes are bulldozed; whose orchards have been systematically uprooted to make room for illegal Jewish settlements ; whose children are shot walking to school by 18 yr.-old Israeli soldiers. Angela, you would learn a lot by coming to hear Alison Weir. Obviously, you have bought into US/Is. propaganda- outright lies. Our press is full of coverups and spin, because the US has funded this Atrocity from the beginning. But the whole world is watching as we GIVE Israel $11 million dollars of taxpayers’ money, every day while we cut Medicare; cut funds for education; while millions of American children go to bed hungry; and our cities look like war zones. (Have you been to Detroit lately? looks like a bombed out city. What an irony! Angela, READ ALTERNATIVE PRESS! Come hear Alison Weir next Tuesday and hear the truth for a change.

[Reply]