Don’t let fashion give you a cold

Emily Modrowski, Fashion Columnist

Emily Modrowski, Fashion Columnist

With the cold weather creeping in on us, it’s time that our wardrobe starts to compete with the dropping temperature. It’s easy to throw on a sweatshirt and sweatpants, but give yourself a challenge this winter. While it can be tough to be stylish while also bundling up, there are plenty of tricks to beat the sleet.

Sweaters

Let’s face it, we all love sweaters. Big, knit sweaters are comfortable, warm, and adorable. A problem with sweaters can be that they aren’t formal enough for doing things during the day. One of my favorite ways to dress up a sweater just a bit more is to put a shirt with a collar under it. Pull the collar outside of the neckline of the sweater and that’s it. You now have a cute, little addition to your outfit and also an extra layer to keep you even warmer. You can find sweaters virtually anywhere, but I know we’re all college students, so Savers has a great selection. Every time I go there I find sweaters for under $6.

Skirts

I’m definitely not ready to let my skirts hibernate for winter, but I’m also not prepared to let my legs freeze off from these cold November winds. An easy way to keep your legs warm while wearing a skirt in the colder months is to add tights, socks, leg warmers, or a combination of the three. My personal favorite is to wear tights with thigh-high socks over them. H&M has a huge selection of tights and socks for under $10.

Add boots and a jacket and you’re now ready to face the cold in your favorite skirt. This trick also works nicely with dresses. I tend to pair dresses with a jean jacket only, while skirts I feel carry more variety. With skirts, leather jackets, jean jackets, khaki jackets, blazers, and button up sweaters all look great.

Second-year communication major, Emily Modrowski poses in her thigh-high socks

Beanies

Last but not least is one of my favorite accessories: a beanie. Beanies or knit hats are a really easy way to keep your head warm while still looking stylish. They’re a hassle-free accessory that can complete your outfit, or just add a little something extra to it. Beanies are a huge hit right now and such a cheap way to enhance your look and they look good on everyone, no matter the type of hair they have. You can get them at Forever 21 for under $6. An added bonus: beanies are the best way to hide a bad hair day.

Emily Modrowski
Emily Modrowski poses in the top left with her woven pink beanie.

Don’t let the cold weather keep you from looking your best. Winter has some of the best fashion of the year.

1 Comment

• Zachary

#winterfashion

[Reply]