‘Tis the season to be trendy

Andrea Harris

Emily Modrowski is wearing a black, teal and blue tartan jacket with a velvet collar and black high-rise skinny jeans.

Emily Modrowski, Fashion Columnist

The holidays are finally here and with finals coming to a close soon, we really have something to celebrate. With the Christmas season comes holiday parties and family functions, which means you’ll have to have something great to wear. Here are some trends great for the holidays.

Christmas

Tartan

Tartan patterns are making huge comebacks the past few years. They have such a classic Christmas look and a holiday feel. Tartan scarves and gloves are adorable winter accessories if you want a subtle hint of the pattern. But if you just love tartan this season, coats and jackets give more of a statement. Skirts are always a good option as well. Pair it with black tights and your tartan skirt is a must for your Christmas dinner. Green or red tartan is the best for the holidays; I have a green tartan blazer from Goodwill I wore last Christmas paired with a black skirt. You can find different tartan styles at stores like Forever 21 and H&M as well.

Velvet

The 90’s called; they’re congratulating us on our revival of velvet. Velvet is definitely in this holiday season. It’s a very wintry fabric so it’s warm and comfortable, and also has a sleek look. Red or green is always a good choice for the season but a black one works just as well; just add some red or green accents. American Apparel has a few good styles of velvet dresses in great reds all around $60. A cheaper option would be somewhere like Forever 21, which is where I got my black velvet dress for around $30.

New Year’s Eve

Metallics

New Year’s Eve has always been and will always be the most perfect time of year to bust out your best golds and silvers. You really can’t go wrong with metallic, or over-do them because they work well paired together. If you’re a bit timid to jump right into it with full-on gold or silver everything, ease into it with a nice black or white dress and gold or silver jewelry and accents.

Sequins

If you want to walk into that New Year’s party and own the room, show up in sequins. Sequin accents on articles of clothing usually add a little pop to the outfit, but this season take a chance and go with the bold: full-on sparkle. A dress covered entirely in sequins will catch the light and make you truly iridescent and luminous. Plus, it would be super fun to wear. Forever 21 has a new beautiful green sequin dress out that I’m kind of in love with for $33.

Emily Modrowski is second-year communication major.