Editorial: Who does the IC support?

With the presidential search coming to a close, the IC announces our support of Sharon Gaber.

The IC Editorial Board

With the search for the University of Toledo’s new president nearing its end, some people are anticipating each newspaper headline, eagerly reading each online story for more details and forming their own opinions about whom they want to see as president.

The IC newsroom is no exception.

We may be some of those who are writing the headlines and stories, but we are just as excited to see who our new fearless leader will be.

We think Sharon Gaber is the best choice of the three candidates for the new president.

Gaber said in a previous interview that – between meetings with the student government, faculty senate, and other groups on campus – she is very involved in campus life at her current school and is student-centered. Not only has she served as a provost before, giving her the needed perspective and experience to lead, but she has a vision to unify the university while still respecting the individuality of each group on campus.

While Michele Wheatly has a certain charm about her and a fantastic British accent, she is not what we think UT needs right now. Her strategy in answering questions at the forums was very political, and she has a tendency to dodge questions rather than give clear answers. UT needs a president who is open and honest with UT’s community, especially where students are concerned.

While Christopher Howard has experience in his current role as president of Hampden-Sydney College, he comes from an institution very different from UT, so we are not sure he would fit in. As we’ve said before, UT needs someone who is willing to be open with students. We are a student-run newspaper that both is part of the student body and reports news to other students, yet he will not talk to us. Instead of interviewing with us, he blew us off, referring us to his cover letter and refusing to answer our questions. We are not impressed.

Gaber is the best candidate. She seems to understand our community and how we work. She does not avoid questions and is more than happy to talk to us.

We have done our research, and have made our choice.

What’s yours, UT?