Student leaders under fire and facing accusations

Andrea Harris

Dan Arendt, student trustee, defends himself while members of the senate question him about his trustee performance.

Ashley Diel, Staff Reporter

Internal conflict dominated the latest Student Government meeting as an academic year record-high seven new resolutions reached the floor in one night.

One of the most-discussed pieces of legislation recommended that one student trustee of the University of Toledo Board of Trustees, Dan Arendt, appear before SG in a hearing to determine if he was upholding the responsibilities his position demands.

After 15 minutes of debate, it failed in a vote of 6 to 15. One supporter of the legislation was SG Senator Ronald Tallon, who voiced his opinion on Arendt’s absence from meetings, and said Arendt should have taken the responsibility to be present at SG meetings. Other senators felt Arendt should at least have a second chance to fulfill his responsibilities.

Arendt felt the issue was a matter of miscommunication and has promised to be at future meetings.

“As soon as I’m told about the situation, obviously, ‘oh, you want me to come every month? Absolutely, I’ll come every month,’” Arendt said.

Another hotly debated resolution was a procedural motion concerning the participation requirements of SG members. The legislation ultimately failed because senators felt the current requirements worked the best.

Senators had strong opinions on each topic, and the legislation prompted intense debate. Heated words were exchanged between members, and SG president Clayton Notestine stepped down from the podium in order to debate.

Throughout the meeting, the president as well as senators voiced their opinions on internal conflicts they feel are plaguing SG.

Notestine said he was disappointed in how SG was carrying itself, stating it was due in part to committee members’ spreading rumors within the organization.

“Every time you attack each other, ask yourself what could you be doing other than that,” Notestine said. “The more you do it, the more go and make rumors, the more damage it does not only to the organization, but other people.”

Senator Sam Aburaad also criticized SG.

“There are personal texts going on through this organization that are just literally tearing us apart,” he said. “These rumors and allegations that are unsubstantiated are not tolerable and I will not stand for it.”

During the voting process of one of the pieces of legislation, Tallon made several objections to a vote. However, Notestine refused to hear a fourth consecutive objection.

Tallon said he felt the refusal was in violation to how things were supposed to be run.

“I think Clay, when he gets mad, makes decisions that no longer follow rules,” Tallon said. “I think it’s out of line and I think it’s unprofessional. I think it’s violating his job of overseeing the meeting.”

Five other pieces of legislation were also brought to the floor during the meeting. Of these, one failed, two passed and two were tabled for next week.

• A resolution that attempted to allow people with a drug-related charge to be able to obtain financial aid through the government failed with 11 in favor and 12 opposed.
  • SG’s endorsement of Cribspot, a website that makes finding an apartment for college students easier, and legislation to give SG autonomy and the power to decide where money given to them goes, both passed by acclamation.