Toledo art museum director to speak about visual language in lecture series

Brian Kennedy, Director and CEO of the Toledo Museum of Art.

Samantha Rhodes, Managing Editor

Over 30,000 rare works of art from around the globe can be found in the Toledo Museum of Art — as can the next speaker in the Jesup Scott Honors College Distinguished Lecture Series.

Brian Kennedy, director and CEO of the Toledo Museum of Art since 2010, will give a lecture titled, “Do You Speak Visual? Learning Visual Language” in Doermann Theatre on March 24 as the final installment of the 2014-2015 series.

“We live in a visually saturated world,” Kennedy said in a press release. “We take in up to 90 percent of our information with our eyes. Did anyone ever train you to use them?”

The Ireland native studied art history and history at University College in Dublin, Ireland, earning bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees that allowed him to hold senior leadership positions at art museums in Ireland, Australia and in the United States.

Students unaware of this charismatic art historian and museum director, even those having previously seen him on YouTube but not in person, are in for an extraordinary experience.”

— Mysoon Rizk, Associate professor of art history

“Students unaware of this charismatic art historian and museum director, even those having previously seen him on YouTube but not in person, are in for an extraordinary experience,” said Associate Professor of Art History Mysoon Rizk.

Since 2010, Kennedy has overseen the Toledo Museum of Art’s nationally recognized strategic plan of integration into the local community. The plan focused on sustainability, especially through alternative energy sources, introducing new technologies and developing an initiative to promote visual literacy.

Many locals, such as Art Department Interim Chair Barbara Miner, believe this plan has enhanced Toledo’s reputation through diverse exhibition programming and art acquisitions.

Miner said she considers Kennedy one of “Toledo’s jewels” because he serves as a “dynamic advocate for the arts and the community through his commitment to visual literacy.”

“The director’s holistic approach to viewing the museum as a relevant and critical part of the city of Toledo has resulted in newly reorganized and engaging galleries and programming,” Miner said. “Details make things work. Everything from site-grown herbs used in the cafe to solar panels over the parking lot has contributed to a renewed sense of the museum as a true community leader, a hub and a destination for local and global visitors alike.”

Rizk also described Kennedy as passionate leader who is “amplifying visual literacy all around the globe.”

According to Rizk, the visual literacy skill of “looking” demands that we slow down, which can enhance our lives, but is often undervalued.

“Seeing or looking takes time,” Rizk said. “We usually don’t stop to examine whatever we’re looking at in all its exquisite detail, especially static objects. There are lots of other strategies of looking, especially taking formal considerations into account, that can help you pay closer attention to anything including art — like how something is composed, how balanced, unified, static, dynamic, chaotic, harmonious, et cetera.”

This skill is one she believes Kennedy can help students learn.

“If you already realize how critical looking is to contemporary life, and not just in relation in art, he will help you regard museums as ideal laboratories for cultivating just such looking skills,” Rizk said.

Rizk also said Kennedy’s lecture may help spark students’ appreciation for art, especially the Toledo Museum of Art as an institution.

“Dr. Kennedy will demonstrate art’s prevalence to everyday life,” she said. “He may well persuade you why looking at it is in your best interest.”

In fact, Ritz said all students, especially international students, “owe it to themselves” to visit the Toledo Museum of Art at least once before graduating.

“Students may remain unaware that this spectacular museum is free and offers a superlative collection esteemed by not only the city, county, state and Midwestern region, but also the nation and the world,” Ritz said.

Aside from his local impact, Kennedy has also helped guide and revamp art museums in both Ireland and Australia.

After spending eight years as assistant director of the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin (1989-1997), Kennedy then served seven years as director of the National Gallery of Australia (1997-2004) in Canberra. While in Australia, he initiated a free admission policy, increased attendance through a series of major exhibitions and acquisitions and oversaw a total building refurbishment and expansion.

A frequent speaker at seminars and conferences, Kennedy is also an author of seven books, the most recent ones featuring artists Sean Scully and Frank Stella.

Kennedy’s lecture will run from 7-8:30 p.m. Tickets are free with general admission seating. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/honors-lecture.

For more information about the event, contact Laura Malkuian at 419-530-2738 or email [email protected]

According to Miner, everyone who wants to see a “brilliantly insightful and knowledgeable speaker” should attend.

“Students in general, not just art students, must go to his talk, otherwise they will miss out on a charismatic speaker who brings a world of rich experiences to his position as Director of the Toledo Museum of Art,” Miner said.

Comments