SG senator admits to past felony

Ronald Pheils

Ashley Diel, Staff Reporter

Murmurs swept through the room as Senator Ronald Pheils stood to speak. Moments later, silence fell as he announced his previous conviction for a felony.

Pheils said his past conviction was irrelevant to his position within SG and that it had no effect on his performance as a senator.

“I’m not the only student on this campus with a felony,” Pheils said. “I might be the only one with this charge, but I’m not the only one with a felony and it does not have any effect on this. I have nothing to hide and if someone asks, I will tell them what I did.”

In an interview after the SG meeting, Pheils admitted he was a convicted felon, but that it was not a secret and he would openly talk about the incident.

Don’t let the fact that I have a felony make you think I don’t believe in campus safety one hundred percent.”

— Ronald Pheils, SG Senator

On March 28, 2011 he was charged with reckless homicide for allegedly shaking and killing a three-year-old child, and received a three year sentence.

However, Pheils said he was not rightly convicted. According to Pheils, an appellate court in Ohio ruled that he was not given a fair trial and he is currently still in the process of appealing to obtain a fair trial.

Pheils said he feels his past conviction has no bearing on his current position in SG, and there is not a conflict between his felony and his position as a senator.

“If there was a problem, we would have bylaws and constitutional amendments that would ask that there not be,” he said. “Don’t let the fact that I have a felony make you think I don’t believe in campus safety one hundred percent.”

Senator Robert Worthington voiced concern on the issue, although he does not think the felony should be used as grounds for removal.

“He hasn’t violated the code of conduct,” Worthington said. “There may be other reasons for him to be removed, but I don’t think that should be considered. I obviously don’t know any details other than what we said so I don’t know if he’s done his time or anything like that.”

Senator and candidate for SG presidency Cody Spoon said he feels there is no problem with Pheils being in SG.

“It’s a tough thing to think and talk about because there might be a split opinion between whether you should deny somebody based on their criminal record or say that they have served their time,” Spoon said. “But just in my opinion, I don’t believe it affected his involvement in our organization.”

Clayton Notestine, SG president, said he also feels there is no problem with Pheils’ being a senator.

“We made a decision when we were letting him into the organization that he served his time. We can’t punish him a second time for something he’s already gone through trial for,” Notestine said.

Pheils said he wants students to know that they can always ask him about his past.

“I’m an open book. I’m approachable. If you have a problem with me please ask,” Pheils said. “There is concern due to the violent tendency and nature of the charge and I understand that and I respect their concern.”