Drag and talent will combine in Rocky’s Attic

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to go to a drag show? You can experience one right on campus at the University of Toledo’s own Bi-Annual Drag and Talent Show.

LGBTQA student organization Spectrum will host the show on April 9 from 8-10 p.m. in Rocky’s Attic.

“This is a time for students to showcase their talents, whether it be music, dancing, art, poetry or the ever-popular drag,” said LaVelle Ridley, a third-year double-majoring in English and Africana studies who is also a former president of Spectrum.

Lavelle Ridley

Lavelle Ridley

Tyler Quinn Parkins, a fourth-year pharmacy major and Spectrum vice president, said students won’t be the only ones performing. In addition to anyone who is looking to showcase their talent, or those who are doing drag for fun, professional drag queens will be participating as well.

“For drag, we have people from Toledo who are actually professional drag queens, they come in and give us a show. It’s fun when we do that, because we try to emulate what it’s like at a real drag show, minus the alcohol,” Parkins said. “But we try to emulate that so we have fake money to tip them with, and you can tip them with real money if you want; it’s just a really good time.”

Ridley said the event is free to the public, but is especially geared toward members of the LGBTQA community who are looking for a safe place to socialize. He said any UT student is able to sign up to perform any kind of talent, but drag is the main talent to be presented.

“The show also serves the purpose of familiarizing students with the art of drag, which is an integral part of the LGBTQA community,” Ridley said.

Parkins said Spectrum has seen a wide variety of talents in past performances, and sometimes even combinations of the talent and drag categories.

“The Drag and Talent Show, like it says in the title, is two different things at once,” Parkins said. “We have members, community members, anybody at UT can basically showcase their talent, or their drag talent if they have such a thing. We have people who sing, people who do poetry, we have dancing occasionally. I know we have people who like to tap dance and stuff.”

He said the timing of the show also holds a special significance.

“In the spring semester, like right now, we always put it during Diversity Week,” Parkins said. “The reason that we do that is because…like I’ve already said drag is a big part of LGBTQA culture, but at the same time, drag sort of challenges people on their idea of gender diversity.”

Ridley said he believes this event will bring awareness to Spectrum, and feels that UT will greatly benefit from it.

“I believe any event or program that brings awareness and appreciation to a community of students benefits the university as a whole,” Ridley said. “This is a night where students will celebrate the LGBTQA community, drag, talent and each other. It is a great night for students who wish to display their talents to express and share themselves with others; that can be very important for LGBTQA students. Validation and support are key facets of Spectrum.”

Ridley himself will be performing in the Drag/Talent show, for the first time.

“This will be my first time actually performing in drag,” Ridley said. “I hope to do a marvelous homage to my favorite singers and performers, most notably: Tina Turner.”