UT Divest put to vote

Colleen Anderson, Co-News Editor

From an idea shared by a few students to a movement involving hundreds of supporters, UT Divest is making noise on the University of Toledo campus with its referendum this week.

The referendum, which went live April 20, asks the student body whether they think the UT Board of Trustees and the UT Foundation should divest from companies “complicit in the Israeli occupation of Palestine” until the companies are no longer involved in those actions.

Divest-Graph

The Beginning

Students for Justice in Palestine began raising awareness for their divestment campaign at their annual Apartheid Wall event in October 2014.

According to Shahrazad Hamdah, an SJP steering committee member, the idea began as an international movement, and 2014 was when SJP decided to begin taking action on it.

“It was a call from Palestinian civil society saying that they wanted to try and get institutions all over the world to boycott Israel, boycott companies that are complicit in Israeli human rights violations, just because that’s the only thing that will only change the situation,” Hamdah said.

UT isn’t the first school to consider divestment. Harvard and MIT were the first two schools to propose divestment on their campuses, followed by Loyola University, the University of Michigan, and University of California Berkeley.

The movement has gained attention from multiple student organizations; the International Student Association, Jewish Voices for Peace, and Community Solidarity Response Network have all voiced public support for the campaign.

It was a call from Palestinian civil society saying that they wanted to try … to boycott Israel, boycott companies that are complicit in Israeli human rights violations.”

— Shahrazad Hamdah, SJP steering committee member

Tensions Rising

The campaign generated emotionally-charged debate from both sides of the issue, especially during Student Government meetings addressing legislation related to it.

UT Hillel and members of groups like Christians United for Israel and the Jewish Federation of Toledo strongly opposed both the resolution and referendum on the issue. Jessica Moses, president of UT Hillel, said the campaign will create a negative campus atmosphere.

“It’s a very negative-based campaign, and when students hear about it and they start realizing what they’re [divestment supporters] trying to say about Israel and people who support Israel, I think it’s just going to bring a negative influence on campus,” Moses said.

Moses said she would prefer not to comment on whether she knew of any discrimination against Jewish students after the resolution passed.

SJP steering committee member and SG senator Sam Aburaad said he faced an attempted impeachment over his activities in the UT Divest campaign.

“I was attacked for exercising my right of free speech, and I was put up for impeachment for speaking for the students,” Aburaad said. “It was made to sound like it was my conduct, but it was thinly veiled. It was definitely about Divest.”

Aburaad said discriminatory remarks were left on pro-divestment posters. He made a police report to keep the incident on file.

I was attacked for exercising my right of free speech, and I was put up for impeachment for speaking for the students. It was made to sound like it was my conduct, but it was thinly veiled. It was definitely about Divest.”

— Sam Aburaad, SJP steering committee member and SG senator

“On our various flyers and posters around campus, we’ve gotten notes like ‘go back to your country, you guys are terrorists,’ that sort of thing,” Aburaad said.

Turmoil in Student Government

Initially, the proposed resolution was ruled unconstitutional by SG’s Student Judicial Council in a vote of 5-4 after presentations from both sides of the argument.

On March 2, attorneys from Palestine Solidarity Legal Support and the Center for Constitutional Rights sent a letter formally challenging how SG ran their meeting, claiming that SG had violated SJP’s first amendment rights and the Ohio Open Meetings Act.

SJP also organized a petition calling for SG to reverse their decision. According to Ide, the petition had over 5,300 signatures from 43 countries and over 50 organizations.

In response, SG overturned their decision of unconstitutionality. A revised version of the resolution was proposed and passed two weeks later with a vote of 21-4.

Both throughout and after the resolution passed, SG came under criticism from members of both sides for their handling of the process.

Jacob Richart, a freshman at UT, said during the March 3 meeting he felt that SG overturning their decision of unconstitutionality was a result of manipulation.

“What these past two weeks have taught me is that bullying is an accepted form of currency at UT,” Richart said during the meeting. “What these past two weeks have taught me is to expect intimidation and manipulation of my peers at UT.”

During the same meeting, Moses also said she felt that revisiting the vote undermined SG, and that it was a result of external pressure from members outside the UT community.

“We must consider who we permit to give voice on our campus community,” Moses said. “The process of the reintroduction of this vote has come to you through external individuals, wanting to influence a campus issue.”

Nadeen Sarsour, a member of both SG and SJP believes the outcome was ultimately a positive one.

“I think it was a really good experience, not only for us [SJP], but for student government,” Sarsour said. “Because I think we got to have a really good dialogue with them, and everything we did, we wanted them to be along with, because they’re our representatives.”

Wording changes cause controversy

On April 20, the first day of voting for the referendum, members of SJP and supporting organizations met with the SG steering committee to discuss changes made to the referendum after it had passed.

The changes were discussed and agreed upon by SG president Clayton Notestine, SJC justice Dillon Marx, and Tamika Mitchell, the dean of students.

Mitchell said “the language of the referendum was clarified to ensure the topic was presented neutrally and the issue was clear to voters.”

Ide said the fact the referendum text was changed after the SG body had already voted on it was underhanded. He felt it was wrong to imply that SJP was the only student organization supporting divestment.

What these past two weeks have taught me is that bullying is an accepted form of currency at UT. What these past two weeks have taught me is to expect intimidation and manipulation of my peers at UT.”

— Jacob Richart, UT freshman

“We believe it’s a dirty, sly tactic to unilaterally change something that everyone had already agreed upon,” Ide said.

The outcome

The day after the divestment resolution passed, Interim President Nagi Naganathan and UT Foundation President Brenda Lee released a statement which read that UT had no plans to divest from companies involved with Israel.

“Just like at many universities and colleges across the nation where during the last 15 years this debate has taken place, The University of Toledo and the UT Foundation do not support divesting from companies that engage in business with Israel,” the statement said.

The statement released was the university’s only statement on the matter.

Hamdah said the decision was not a surprise, and it would not prevent the supporters from trying to change the administration’s mind.

“I think we expected it. It doesn’t make us lose hope or anything,” Hamdah said. “We’re still strategizing on how we can kind of reach out to the administration and tell them where we’re coming from.”

Moses said divesting from companies with ties to Israel would hurt students in their searches for future jobs.

“I do think that if you start divesting from companies that are fully invested in the University of Toledo, like GE who basically built the engineering campus, it’ll start hurting … opportunities for students here on campus,” Moses said.

Moses said she thinks UT probably won’t divest at any point from the companies outlined in the resolution.

Sarsour said the goal of the movement was something bigger than UT itself, and isn’t going to be settled by UT’s decision one way or another.

“This isn’t really something us as a university can resolve,” Sarsour said. “The purpose of the campaign is we’re joining the rest of the nation and the international community in divesting from these corporations.”

40 Comments

• Al Fahidi

Maybe someone should do a follow up story on Derek Ide’s anti-Semitic and far-left whacko Facebook postings. Maybe a little investigative reporting by the “Independent Collegian” would reveal the fact that all of the information presented by the divestment supporters, Students for Justice in Palestine, and #UT Divest were lies and half-truths presented without any verifiable evidence or honest historical reference. This is an embarrassment for UT and UT student government in particular, what a bunch of clowns.

[Reply]

• Jay

SJP and Ide are a disgrace. Lies an intimidation run rampant at UT. The student senate caved under outside legal pressure to overturn a verdict they were not happy with, with no legal standing. Basically they blew hot air and won. The referendum was even asked to be amended to include all countries with human right violations, yet SJP chose only to single out Israel. That is anti-semitism and the University should suspend Ide and his cronies as they are not worthy of what UT stands for. I like the idea for a story on Ide. It would be very interesting.

[Reply]

Erik Gable Reply:

But if they included all countries with human rights violations, they’d have to acknowledge that every other nation in the Middle East operates at a level of sadistic barbarism and religious extremism that makes Israel’s policies look like sunshine and puppies.

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

Correct. SJP do not care for justice for Palestinians, if they did they would want to divest from Jordan, Lebanon, Syria etc. Palestinain blood is worth nothing to SJP if it isn’t spilled in Israel.

[Reply]

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

Hey guys. I’d love a story on myself. Thanks for all the recognition!

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

I think that’s appropiate. I think they can call it, ‘A revisionist not a historian.’ Or ‘selective outrage, the new anti-Semite.’ Then we can all use your article as toilet paper.

[Reply]

JoelB Reply:

The truth prevailed. The referendum failed to pass.

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

Waiting for SJP to spin this as a victory and trying to get this passed again.

Jay Reply:

Seems your lies didn’t work. Huge fail from you and your precious SJP. Campus saw your lies. Guess you will try and spin this for a win as you had just over the majority of votes. Wait I can hear it now. What an idiot you really are.

[Reply]

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

Yes, we consider 57.13% of voting UT students a victory. Perhaps, of course, because it *is* a victory.

Jay Reply:

Did it pass?… Come on even you as a ‘Historian’ can get at least that right!

Jay Reply:

Ide all you can do is polish a turd and you know it.

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

It is profoundly brave how you hide behind the cloak of anonymity “Jay.” Your cowardice is matched only by your hubris.

Jay Reply:

You’re an open anti-Semite.

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

57.13%

Jay Reply:

DIdn’t pass. Or do you not respect the constitution? I guess you are going to take the moral victory. Ah yes…the only victory that losers can take.

Jay Reply:

Fully expecting you to call on the University to divest from Syria right Ide? 18,000 Palestinians who are trapped in the Yarmouk Camp in Syria mean nothing to you.

Erik Gable Reply:

I’m sure we’ll also be seeing a movement to divest in Kuwait because of the 100,000 stateless Bedoon; Saudi Arabia for having the pubilc beheadings for adultery and apostasy and for jailing women for driving; and Yemen for brutally oppressing women and making homosexuality punishable by flogging or death.

Those divestiture campaigns will be coming any minute now, right?

… Bueller? … Bueller?

Rami Reply:

The amendment to the referendum would have rendered it useless. A broad, general divestment initiative has ZERO direction and no one from the UT admin would actually do something to follow through. It needs to be specific because it gives direction.
    Al, could your account be anymore fake? You’ve been trolling the Divest page for days now. Get a life.
    Jay, SG chose to single out the COMPANIES in Israel. Also, it’s not anti-Semitic, as that phrase means anyone from the Middle East, not just Jewish people. In fact, an overwhelming amount of the Jewish population supports it.

[Reply]

Erik Gable Reply:

You’re quibbling over semantics now. Would it be accurate to call it anti-Jewish, then? I’m not sure how else you would explain choosing to focus on Israel and not one of the MANY countries in the Middle East with far worse, and in fact absolutely atrocious, human rights records.

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

Rami, your selective outrage and excuses mask your anti-Senatism. You do nothing for the Palestinian cause and the sad fact is deep down you and SJP know it. You statement about the overwhelming amount of Jews support it is not factually based at all and is lies. But according your logic I could say that all Muslim supports the use of suicide bombing to make polictical statements. Good one Rami but everyone can see your idiotic reasoning.

[Reply]

Rami Reply:

Except when we’ve gotten the Jewish Voice for Peace and a large number of Jewish people speaking up in our support… Your issue is that the acceptance that these companies have actually benefited from the apartheid state is too much for you to handle. How else could the most, “democratic state in the Middle East” be complicit in these wrongdoings?! Blasphemy!
    Don’t try to tell me what my intentions are. You overgeneralized and made a racist and hugely offensive comment with the suicide bombings. Don’t deflect. I speak up for those who are too afraid, hunted, and unable to speak for themselves. Why? My blood is Palestinian. I know the truth, and our fight to show the world the truth is proving successful. It’s not selective outrage, it’s outrage towards your ignorance and willingness to defend genocide, murder and war crimes. Get over yourself, you pathetic excuse of man.

Jay Reply:

Lol Jewish voices for peace is like me getting my information and support for Christian views from the Westboro Baptist Church as using them as my only resource or getting my understanding on what Islam has to say about the world by listening to only ISIS.
    Your blood is Palestinian but only when it is spilled by Israel and not by Hamas using Palestinians as human shields or the mass killing of Palestiniams in Syria do you speak up. Your selective outrage is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Jay Reply:

Where is your outrage for the 18,000 Palestinians who as I type are trapped in the Yarmouk Camp in Syria who according to the UN are in the worst situation they have ever seen? Where is SJP, BDS, MSA??? Where are your boycotts and demands. Your silence speaks louder and louder everyday. Shame on you all and shame on Ide.

Erik Gable Reply:

Or the outrage over the women who, in every Middle Eastern country but Israel, have roughly the same legal status as cattle?

Jay Reply:

What are you talking about? Cattle are respected.

Jay Reply:

Rami… Still nothing for your brothers in Syria? No demonstration planned? You can see your own hipocracy right???

• Al Fahidi

even more disgusting and a bigger embarrassment for UT was former Board of Trustee member Linda Mansour coming to testify on behalf of Students for Justice in Palestine. How do these nut-balls get appointed to the UT board to begin with?

[Reply]

• JoelB
  • JoelB

Referendum failed. Right won over might. The truth prevailed.

[Reply]

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

fifty seven point one three percent

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

Keep polishing that turd Ide. You lost get over it.

[Reply]

haha Reply:

In your dreams. 57.3% in favor, in a country that was once so overwhelmingly pro-Israel that such a referendum was unthinkable. The truth, as well as the momentum, is overwhelmingly not in your favor.

[Reply]

• Derek Alan Ide

This Is Our Victory!

This is our victory. In this historic referendum 57.13% of the voting student body approved of ‪#‎UTDivest‬. Over 1,100 students voted YES to our university’s mission statement of “improving the human condition” by divesting from companies that violate international law and human rights. Despite all the tricks and maneuvers, the misleading lies and slander, the fear-mongering paid advertisements, and the unilateral changing of our referendum language, we still won a strong majority of the hearts and minds of UT students. Contrary to what the opposition to divestment would have you believe, it is not us who are marginal, it is them. It is not us who are a minority, it is them. In their celebration of the vote not meeting the arbitrary two-thirds requirement to pass, the opposition has proven nothing more than that they are exactly what they celebrate: a minority. Those who believe in social justice for the Palestinians are a majority on UT’s campus. The numbers cannot be more lucid.

One prominent anti-divestment ideologue put it this way: “[UT] was one of the most difficult campus BDS environments that those who are involved nationally in fighting the BDS movement have experienced.” His words speak volumes to mass popular sentiment in favor of divestment at our university. The opposition had to work with lies, half-truths, and misinformation to garner even the paltry minority vote they received. We are part of not just a national, but an international movement for social justice. As the great people’s historian Howard Zinn once said, “You cannot be neutral on a moving train.” The divest train is moving.

The tenacity, courage, and resilience of the students who put their hearts and minds to the task of making their university a better place and struggling for social justice cannot be underestimated. Every individual and every organization who took part in this movement should not only be proud of themselves for struggling against a hostile administration and a vicious propaganda machine, they should also take pride in the fact that in so many ways we have won. This is our victory, both as participants in #UTDivest but also collectively as students at the University of Toledo. We have received recognition of our movement not only from around the country; it has been celebrated all the way in the beleaguered Gaza Strip.

The obstacles we faced were enormous. The administration, in conjunction with at least one member of Student Government, unilaterally changed our referendum text without informing either us at #UTDivest or the Student Government representatives who voted on our original referendum. For the administration, changing the framing and context of our referendum was integral in their attempt to defeat it. In their altered language they presented divestment as an initiative by a small group of students in SJP, and not as a campus-wide issue that many student organizations supported (including, but not limited to, the Student African American Brotherhood, the International Student Association, the Muslim Student Association, the UT Feminist Alliance, etc.). Furthermore, they struck an entire paragraph documenting how divestment would align with UT’s mission statement of “improving the human condition,” and completely removed the fact that Student Government voted overwhelmingly (21-4) in favor of divestment. This undemocratic, opaque way of operating is not a new tactic employed by the administration.

At every juncture participants in #UTDivest fought for openness, for transparency, and for democracy on campus. In doing so we not only broke the flood gates for discourse about Palestine on this campus, we created a campus climate and culture conducive to open, democratic debate. We challenged every infringement upon students’ rights to participate in this process. Whether it was the reprehensible 5-4 judicial decision claiming our divestment resolution was unconstitutional, or the closed meeting that kept UT students from participating in this important discussion, #UTDivest has been on the side of the people.

The administration, non-student groups, and the student opposition worked in unison, putting forth a concerted effort to enervate one of the foundational principles of any academic institution, namely, to facilitate the intellectual growth of its student body. Consistent with the opposition’s desire to stifle debate and close discussion, the opposition celebrated the inability of student government senators to vote on the resolution. They were also integral in keeping the student body out of the meeting. They proclaimed it was inappropriate for student government to vote on something without hearing the student body voice. After student government eventually voted overwhelmingly in our favor, the opposition proclaimed that it was now inappropriate for students as a whole to vote on the referendum. The JFT, a non-student organization, mobilized all of its resources to try and kill the referendum before it went to a vote.

What has been very evident throughout this entire process is that the opposition simply did not want UT students to vote at all, in any capacity, in any circumstance. Both the 21-4 vote and the 57.13% majority we won explain why. The opposition fears democracy and detests social justice, as evident in their underhanded tactics to shut this movement down.

Coupled with administrative interference and the opposition’s attack on democracy, there was a slick well-funded propaganda machine that based its arguments on falsehoods and slander. The primary aim of the opposition was to portray supporters of divestment as anti-Semitic, a claim so tenuous it could not withstand the most basic scrutiny. Many Jewish students voted to divest, and Jewish community members and organizations, like Jewish Voice for Peace, wrote resoundingly powerful statements in favor of divestment. When it was clear this claim did not hold water, the opposition tried desperately to grasp at any rope they could. They moved quickly to explain how this would “harm” UT students, insinuating with their insulting and elitist advertisements that UT students would become fast-food workers if they voted for divestment. This is a direct insult to the millions of Americans striving to earn a living in low-paying service sector jobs. Despite the fact that there was no truth to the statements, and no historic precedent they could cite, the opposition tried hard to push this falsehood. Noticeably absent in their strategy was any defense of Israel or Israeli policies at all. They could not defend Israel’s actions, and so they avoided the issue completely.

In the email sent by Student Government President to UT students the morning of April 27 announcing the results of the vote, divestment was characterized as “contentious” and “an incredibly difficult topic.” While the opposition avoided the issue of Israeli policies and Palestinian suffering, we have not:

* Between 1955 – 2013, Israel has been the target of 77 resolutions condemning its actions.

* The UN estimates that there will be no drinkable water left in Gaza by 2016, and that Gaza will be *unlivable* by 2020 (Al Jazeera, April 18, 2015).

* One study conducted in 2012, before the most recent deadly attack on Palestinians in 2014, showed PTSD levels to be at 56.8% among adolescents in Gaza (Journal of Traumatic Stress).

* From December 27, 2008 through January 18, 2009, Israeli forces indiscriminately killed 1400 Palestinians, including some 300 children (21%) and hundreds of other unarmed civilians (Amnesty International).

* Over a period of 50 days last summer, 2192 Palestinians, including 519 children were massacred by Israeli forces. In addition, the “UN estimated that about 18,000 housing units were destroyed or rendered uninhabitable, leaving approximately 108,000 people homeless. A further 37,650 housing units were damaged” (Amnesty International).

* A 2013 report by Amnesty International describes restrictions on movement imposed by Israeli authorities to “[amount] to collective punishment of the population of Gaza and the West Bank, in violation of international law.”

We do not believe divestment is “contentious” or “incredibly difficult.” Society’s intolerable injustices do not require the search for a full consensus on what perfect justice looks like. We support divestment because we believe in human rights and international law. We believe UT should strive to actually implement its ethical and moral commitments, and adhere to its own mission statement of “improving the human condition.” The majority of UT students agree with us. #UTDivest has created a movement on campus, a movement so resilient that it will continue to grow, to learn, to evolve, and to win. We will continue to work with and organize alongside all organizations that support social justice, and will struggle to ensure that UT is a place where human life is more important than profit. Consciousness has been raised, bodies have been moved, hearts and minds have been won. The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice. #UTDivest will continue to move forward in the struggle for justice.

This is our victory!

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

Keep polishing that turd…lol You lost.

[Reply]

Erik Gable Reply:

If this is all about human rights, how do you expain focusing on Israel and ignoring the barbaric human rights abuses in places like Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Qatar and Iran?

[Reply]

Al Fahidi Reply:

A quick look at your narcissistic Facebook page reveals the nut ball and anti-Semite that you are Derek. Enjoy your life of anger and pyric victories. If you were a real “historian” you would be capable of diagnosing history without prejudice or distortion. Your true purposes
    are easy to spot, it’s your intelligence that’s hard to find.

[Reply]

Derek Alan Ide Reply:

57.13%

[Reply]

csw18 Reply:

There is no social justice, only mendacity, in suicide bombings and launching rockets (from schools and hospitals) aimed at women and children in Israeli towns and cities. Where is the honor in those people or their actions? Supporting this intifada reflects poorly upon one’s character. No government is perfect; but in Israel women, minorities and people of different religions have equal rights - rights denied them in virtually every other Middle East nation. Muslims in Israel have their own party in Knesset. Meanwhile, Jews, women and Christians in Muslim nations live in constant danger, devoid of the same civil rights they would have in Israel. Veracity is lost when you use the words social justice in the same breath with those you support here.

[Reply]

• akg

Jay, who ever you are thank you. You correctly called out Mr. Ide and his anti-Semitic movement as a fraud. Thank you Thank you!!!

[Reply]