5 Fall treats on a budget

Joe Heidenescher, Features Editor

Maybe you’re not a costume person, but maybe you still love going to Halloween parties. Instead of spending time making a costume, you could put together festive foods that’ll still make you a hit at the party.. Here are five super-simple treats that are affordable on almost any college budget.

No Bake Cookies

Even if you don’t have an oven, you can still make cookies. You will need sugar, milk, a stick of butter, cocoa powder, oats, peanut butter, vanilla extract and kosher salt. For an exact recipe, look one up in a cookbook or Google one. All you will need to do is heat the sugar, milk, butter and cocoa in a pan. Next, remove the mixture from the heat and mix all the ingredients together. Then just scoop them out into cookie-sized globs an put them onto wax paper. Allow them to cool and harden, and then they are ready to eat. To make them more festive, you can add candy corn or other Halloween candy favorites. Because of the number of ingredients, these cookies might cost closer to $20, but you will be able to make way more than just a dozen.

Pumpkin Bread Cupcakes

Pumpkin treats are a fall staple. Simply go buy a box of pumpkin bread mix, follow the instructions and mix with the correct amount of water, eggs and other ingredients. The cooking is simple, dish the batter into cups and cook for about a half hour. Since pumpkin bread isn’t exactly as sweet as cupcakes, you can add frosting if you would like, but the bread will be great by itself too. In total, a box of mix and cupcake liners will cost around $10 and make about a dozen cupcake-sized goodies.

S’mores Hot Chocolate

In addition to food, hot chocolate is perfect this time of the year. To add some Halloween pizazz, it’s easy to turn it into a hot chocolate s’more. Mix your hot chocolate packet with hot water, or hot milk. Then roast some marshmallows to add to the drink. Serve the treat with a graham cracker stirrer. If you want some additional haunting spirits, add a splash of Baileys Irish Cream. The hot chocolate and additives will only cost you $8, and the bottle of Baileys is about $20.

Oreo Dirt Pudding

This is a classic recipe from childhood. Get some chocolate pudding; you can make your own or even buy the easy snack packs. Once you get the pudding, pour it into a bowl or little cups. Now take half a pack of Oreos and smash them up and sprinkle them on top of the pudding. For added effect, add gummy worms and bone candies to turn the dirt pudding into one deadly dessert. For pudding, Oreos and candy you’re looking to spend around $15.

Chocolate Popcorn

For this simple treat, you will need plain white popcorn, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and orange food coloring. Take your popcorn and pop about two to three bags and spread it evenly out onto wax paper. Next, pour your chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in 30-second intervals because chocolate burns easily. Once it is melted, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn with a spoon. Repeat this step with the white chocolate and add the orange food coloring to make it festive. Let the chocolate cool before eating. In total this recipe costs less than $10.