University of Toledo helps students through new competitive awards initiative

Amanda Pitrof, Editor-in-Chief

For college students looking for ways to make ends meet in a creative way, the Competitive Awards Initiative run by the university may be the answer.

The initiative began last fall to help assist the campus community with various scholarships and awards. According to Assistant Director of the Center for International Studies and Programs Diane Engbretson, the program has already assisted over 75 students and faculty members since its inception.

This new initiative came to fruition through efforts from Assistant Provost for CISP Sammy Spann and President Sharon Gaber. Engbretson wrote in an email interview that ideally, this initiative will eventually become its own office.

We research potential scholarships or awards they can apply for, we assist them in the application process and can assist them in reading or proofing their essays or associated papers.”

— Diane Engbretson; Assistant Director of the Center for International Studies and Programs

Engbretson wrote that the process of working with the applicant begins by finding out both what they are interested in and any goals they have for work, travel or post-graduate studies.

“We support students and faculty in a myriad of ways,” Engbretson wrote. “We research potential scholarships or awards they can apply for, we assist them in the application process and can assist them in reading or proofing their essays or associated papers.”

The initiative also provides recommendations which are required by some competitive awards they assist students with. Some students come in just needing to be pointed in the direction of the scholarship; others come in and walk through the process of applying with Engbretson.

One of the students who sought help was Samuel Duling, a third-year political science and economics major who wrote in an email interview that he heard about the initiative when Spann mentioned it to him.

He sought the help of Spann and Engbretson because they “are uniquely informed about competitive awards through their participation in university consortiums which endeavor to promote awareness for scholarships, fellowships and the like.”

Duling is currently applying for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship, which is for students who want to pursue a graduate degree linked to a future career in public service.

“Mrs. Engbretson and I walked through my curriculum vitae and identified which awards I can most competitively apply for, given my skills, interests and experience,” Duling wrote. “With her vast knowledge of competitive awards, she was able to open my eyes to other applications I was previously unaware of.

“That initiative is something to get excited about,” Duling wrote.

The Truman scholarship is one of 17 listed on UT’s competitive awards webpage. All of the awards have descriptions that include due dates, eligibility requirements and amounts of money to be awarded.

For more information about the initiative or for help applying for scholarships, email Engbretson at [email protected] or call her at 419-530-5268.