BIGGEST day of service comes to UT

Students volunteer to say 'thank you' to Toledoans

Savannah Joslin / IC

UT student Gina Todd rakes leaves in the Toledo area during BIG Event 2015.

Amber Thomas, Staff Reporter

Each spring, students at the University of Toledo take one day out of their busy schedules to spend time in the community. This year on March 19, volunteers will take part in one of the BIGGEST events on campus.

“The BIG Event is the largest one-day service event that takes place at the University of Toledo,” said Anthony Strother, director of the 2016 BIG Event. “This is the way we give back to the community and the surrounding Toledo area.”

According to Strother, the BIG Event was first established at Texas A&M University and is currently at 110 schools across the country. This year, the University of Toledo will invite Bowling Green State University and the University of Detroit Mercy to UT’s event in hopes of eventually starting a similar event at their own schools.

Compared to some of the other events held at the university, the organizers of the BIG Event say this one is unique because its sole focus to help Toledoans.

“Events like the Relay For Life and RockeTHON are also ways the University of Toledo give back, but those impact so many things outside of Toledo,” Strother said. “The money raised by those events affects other states across the country aside from the Toledo area. However, the BIG Event is local and it covers campus all the way to townships such as Sylvania.”

According to Joseph Leech, assistant director of the BIG Event, about 1,300 people have signed up so far, but they are expecting an increase of 200 to 400 more volunteers.

Volunteers perform a variety of tasks during the day of work. From cleaning up the community by doing yard work at residential areas to cleaning up the streets of Toledo, students and community members are working together to give back.

“Students do everything from painting houses at The Cherry Street Mission to going to reading books to the children at the Ronald McDonald House,” Leech said. “One big thing we’re doing this year is working with the Botanical Garden, doing things such as gardening and raking leaves at their multiple job sites.”

Lindsay Shepherd, a third-year majoring in accounting and management, said she participated in the BIG Event for the past two years with her sorority, Kappa Delta.

“We were assigned streets that had to be cleaned up. It was small, but knowing that I can help in any way makes me feel good,” she said.

Through the efforts of The BIG Event, students are really able to show their gratitude for all that Toledo has done.

“Students want to participate because the University of Toledo and the community of Toledo give so much to us, they give us a home, and I feel like students really want to give back and say ‘thank you’ to the community by going out and picking up trash or painting a fence,” said Emily Yablonski, co-director of recruitment for the BIG Event.

Although each volunteer experience is different, students said they all get a lot out of the event.

“I volunteered through the University of Toledo’s Gospel Choir and loved every minute of it,” said Shayla Humphrey, a third-year majoring in marketing and human resources. “I do a lot of service work and projects, so this is something that I actually enjoy. Helping out people is a passion of mine.”

The BIG Event focuses not only on helping people in the UT community, but has changed into an opportunity to get to know the other volunteers.

“(We are) trying to make it more of a community aspect and put more student orgs together so people get to network and bond at the same time while giving back to the community,” Strother said. “Since doing that, there has been a huge increase in the amount of people signing up.”

More than 60 organizations have registered to volunteer at this year’s event, which will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting at the Student Recreation Center. UT President Sharon Gaber will give the keynote speech, followed by special guests from Red Bull, Gift of Life Bone Marrow Donation and UT Bridge Club.

“This is the only time we really can go out and say ‘thank you’ to the community that has allowed us to have so many opportunities. Supporting us, whether it is an event we’re holding on campus, sponsorships, and just general support of the U of T that allows us to get our education,” Strother said.

If you or your group are interested in participating, visit the University of Toledo’s BIG Event web page.