Adopt, don’t shop, for pets

Alexis Nieszcur, IC Columnist

If you’re like me, you have to look away, mute or change the channel every time one of those heart-wrenching animal shelter commercials comes on TV. The animal’s sad eyes and the depressing background music make the perfect recipe for a guilty heart.
People always go crazy when they see a puppy running carefree or a tiny kitten snuggled up with its littermates. However, despite the extent to which people are drawn to these innocent animals, our shelters are still overflowing with the unwanted animals. Why is that?
According to the ASPCA, five in ten dogs and seven in ten cats that enter shelters are euthanized, simply because there aren’t enough people to adopt them. These statistics are heartbreaking. Many of the animals that have been euthanized could’ve benefited so much if they’d had a special human companion to love them.
Why are these statistics so high? One major reason is that people will often choose pet stores instead of animal shelters for their new companion. Pet stores are often in more prime locations, which see a lot of foot traffic, compared to the more isolated and less expensive locations that shelters are built around.
Some people also associate stigmas with shelters, calling the shelters dirty and filled with depressed animals. People would much rather shop than adopt. In reality, most shelters are extremely clean and often offer state-of-the-art medical facilities and play areas.
Many people go to buy a pet with the aims of buying a purebred dog or puppy. Pet stores sell extremely high-priced purebred animals, a lot of which are from puppy mills with disgusting breeding conditions. In addition, if a purebred pet does not meet breed standards or has some ailment, the breeders at the mill will put it down immediately.
Over 25 percent of shelter dogs are purebred, but while an adoption fee at a shelter can cost you under $100 for a purebred dog, it would cost hundreds at a pet store. Plus, if you buy the purebred from the shelter, you leave feeling happy because you saved the life of the animal you adopted and you also got the purebred pet you wanted.
Even with those avenues, sometimes it can be better to choose a lovable mutt over a purebred in any case. The number of pets euthanized because they don’t look the way the breed should or have some disability is truly disheartening. Sure, purebred pets are adorable, but they often have numerous health problems and can cost to upwards of a few thousand dollars depending on the breed.
Next time you are in the market for an animal companion, I urge you to adopt, not shop for your new friend. Websites such as petfinder.com allow you to search for shelter pets by location, breed, size, age and by specifics such as color and coat pattern, declawed status or any special needs. This and other websites help you to truly find the perfect shelter pet match for your wishes.
Over four million animals were adopted from shelters this past year. Until all the shelters are empty and no animal has to be senselessly euthanized, urge everyone you know to adopt their next furry family member from the local shelter. You will save money, save a life and perhaps never have to feel so guilty again when those commercials come on the TV.
Alexis Nieszcur is a second-year majoring in pharmacy.

1 Comment

• I believe you mean well, Alexis, but your data is inaccurate. The National Animal Interest Alliance recently completed a comprehensive shelter study and found that the number of purebreds in shelters is more like 5%. It’s also time, I believe, to pull back the curtain on “rescue” in this country. In 2009, the CDC believed that some 300,000 dogs were being imported into this country to fill shelter and rescue demand (so much for overpopulation), most of them coming from countries with lax vaccination protocols. Diseases not seen in the US in a good long time have been introduced by these imported dogs, such as the canine flu that hit the United States last summer, the source believed to be a dog from Korea. In my view, shelters and rescues will never, ever be empty for two reasons: Irresponsible pet owners, and the huge money being made in the business of rescue dogs. And finally, last year, the University of California at Davis completed a study and concluded that purebred dogs are no more afflicted by genetic diseases overall than mixed breeds. The data is out there, and I would urge you and others to investigate it more thoroughly. It’s time to bring balance back to the conversation about responsible dog ownership.

[Reply]

Adopt, don’t shop, for pets