Phi Kappa Psi First Annual Melon Fest 2K16

Courtesy of Phi Kappa Psi

Amber Thomas, Community Editor

Welcome Week 2016 is quickly approaching and Phi Kappa Psi is ensuring that it will be a very fruitful start to the new semester. The fraternity will host UT’s first ever Melon Fest before the fall semester on Aug. 19.

Melon Fest is an event that is really popular with campuses on the west coast and the Phi Psi members say they are excited to bring it to the University of Toledo.

Melon Fest will take place in front of UT’s Memorial Field House from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Entrance to Melon Fest is free with the donation of a canned good.

“We want to bring something new that allows freshmen to participate in welcome week during the day,” said Lance Craft, rush and recruitment chair of Phi Kappa Psi. “Back when I was a freshman during the day on Friday, there was nothing to do; we had to wait for convocation so our idea was to bring something for the freshman to do during the daytime.”

According to Sean Sullivan, Melon Fest chairperson, this event circles around the idea of watermelon themed games. Also, it will be accompanied by a concert from country artist John King. Some of the activities include a watermelon wheel barrel race, two person watermelon carry, watermelon-on-a-string eating contest, watermelon roll, watermelon toss and a tug of war.

Various fraternities and sororities will form teams and compete for different prizes. Freshmen are welcomed to jump into the watermelon frenzy as well.

“You can’t really have events with apples and stuff like that; it’s so much more interesting with watermelons,” said Jay Kumar, Phi Kappa Psi rush and recruitment assistant chair.

When creating an event with watermelons as the main attraction, preparation has to be done in order for the event to hold true to its name.

According to Craft, approximately 500 watermelons were ordered for this event (an estimated total of $1,000) and although most of the watermelons will be wasted, Phi Psi is giving back by donating the canned goods and giving a monetary donation towards to the Cherry Street Mission.

“When you’re outside busting a bunch of watermelons, it’s wasting food but when you’re bringing all these canned goods, you’re gaining something to give back,” Craft said.

In addition to giving a donation to Cherry Street Mission, Phi Kappa Psi will be informing freshman about their Phi Kappa Psi Noble Leadership Scholarship.

“During my freshman year I didn’t really come out to the events that happened before school started and I kind of regret it,” Kumar said. “I encourage every freshman to get involved because it is a great way to meet people and get a great start to the year.”

Sponsors for this event include Vivo, Olde Town, Edge, CAP, Rocket Lounge, Jimmy John’s, Ultra Press Custom Apparel and Potbelly.

This event is only just the start to the many the events that the University of Toledo’s fraternities, sororities and other organizations have to offer for the beginning of the semester.

“Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there,” Sullivan said. “Explore all of your opportunities because there are so many great things to do on campus and you can’t go wrong with getting involved.”