A fusing of cultures

Emily Jackson, Associate Community Editor

Attention all foodies: A new food spot in Toledo fuses the flavors of Asian, American and Mediterranean tastes in the form of a pita.

Fusion Pitas, located in the Talmadge Town Center, offers a diversified culture of cuisine, while also serving traditional and modern style bubble tea.

The new restaurant opened its doors July 31 and is the brainchild of brothers and co-owners Issa and Sam Bai. Born in Detroit, Michigan and raised in Sylvania, Ohio, the siblings grew up learning about both traditional Lebanese and American cultures.

Fusion Pitas is less than four miles from the University of Toledo and is next to the Franklin Park Mall, making it a great spot for students to try a unique kind of dining experience.

“We’ve always been into the fusion type of market,” Sam said. “And here we offer freshness and an authentic way of making bubble tea.”

With the wide variety of items on the menu Fusion Pitas expects to lure an assorted crowd.

“We’re hoping we can attract the high school and college crowd in the local Toledo area,” Sam said.

Though Fusion Pitas is not the only place in Toledo to serve Bubble Tea, they do offer a wide selection of food items and smoothies as well.

Their menu features items such as Korean Bulgogi Cheesesteak and Traditional Thanksgiving Day Turkey, which comes wrapped in pita with a unique mix of stuffing and raspberry relish. Also available, for those with who are less adventurous, is their Chicken Fried Bacon or Taiwanese Salty Crispy Chicken bites.

The restaurant also has vegan and vegetarian options, as well as fresh ingredients, meat bought from local suppliers and bobas, the flavorful little balls you find in your bubble tea, that are made daily.

Although the restaurant is already opened, the brothers are hoping to hold a grand opening sometime in September.

Fusion Pitas hours of operation are on Sunday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.