Chelsea Clinton speaks at the University of Toledo in support of her mother

Rachel Nearhoof / IC

Chelsea Clinton, the only daughter of 2016 democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, came to campus to support her mother’s campaign on Thursday, Sept. 22. Clinton was met by a crowd of around 200 people at the Recreation Center’s Maple Room around 1:30 p.m.

“I happened to have the day off and it kind of just coincided,” said Jim Iannone, a Toledo community member. “I’ve been a Democrat all my life and I kinda wanted to understand why and not just blindly follow.”

Iannone’s sentiments reflect many across America during this campaign season. 4.2 percent of Americans say they are still undecided about who they are voting for in November’s election.

Clinton said during the rally that registering to vote for the election is very important. Around 65 percent of the population of the United States who are eligible to vote are actually registered. In the 2012 presidential election, only 57 percent of Americans voted.

“This election is so personal to me because I know whomever we elect will play a profound role in shaping the future that my children and the little kids who are here today with us will grow up in,” Clinton said.

Clinton made several points about her mother’s policies before opening it up to the crowd for questions. She spoke at length about her mother’s policies on college education.

“My mother believes everyone should be able to go to community college for free,” Clinton said.

Another point she made was her mother’s policies when it comes to finding a solution to the heroin epidemic. Clinton’s visit came during Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week. Ohio is number two in the United States with the most deaths due to prescription overdose.

“We lost 47,000 Americans in 2014 to overdoses… more people than are dying in car crashes… and my mother is one of the only ones with a real plan,” Clinton said.

Clinton said that more prevention and awareness needs to be done in high schools and doctor’s offices.

Many different groups from campus were represented at this rally, including the College Democrats and their president, Ronald Tallon.

“I am happy to see that the campaign is finally sending in somebody, and getting Chelsea here is a huge step forward,” Tallon said.

Tallon cited his previous disappointment in the campaign, since they have not sent any major players to campus before this point in the election campaign. However, he said that the Hillary campaign has taken a step in the right direction by bringing Chelsea Clinton to campus.

“I think having Trump here twice, in the Toledo area and not having a combatant on the democratic side really hurts us,” Tallon said. “It seems as if Toledo has always been a major player in politics in Ohio being such pro union, and such pro labor… it’s a big democratic area.”

Tallon also explained his full support in Hillary’s policies, citing how he thinks that her plan for higher education is better than her opponent’s, Republican nominee Donald Trump.

“I think that Hillary’s policies are a lot better because she has the involvement of students in mind; she wants to get the primary main topic is free education. I think Hillary’s policies are a big influence on students here,” Tallon said.

And Tallon wasn’t the only person in the crowd concerned about education. During the rally one crowd member cited her support for Hillary because of her background as a school teacher.

“I would truly hope your mother will support public education,” said Chris, a retired public educator in northwest Ohio. “I believe public education is a cornerstone of our entire country.”

Clinton replied and said that her mother believes in the investment of public education. She also answered the questions of several others in the audience before the rally ended, including on the subject of #blacklivesmatter.

Clinton’s campaign is expected to have more stops in Toledo before Election Day.