IBF champion receives the key to the city

Amber Thomas, Co-community Editor

DJ Khaled isn’t the only one who has keys, especially the major ones. This past weekend, Toledo native and professional boxer Robert Easter Jr. was granted the key to the city of Toledo after winning the IBF Lightweight boxing championship of the world.

Almost a month prior to the parade held in his honor this past weekend, Easter, also known as ‘EBUNNY,’ fought against Richard Commey on Sept. 9 for the championship belt. Both fighters entered undefeated and Easter won by a split decision with the scores of 113-114, 115-112, 114-113.

Hundreds of locals gathered together Sunday, Oct. 2 at 2 p.m. for this celebration of victory in downtown Toledo.

The parade stepped off on Summit Street and Jefferson Avenue, proceeded north to head to Jackson Boulevard and ended at the front steps of One Government Center. At the building, Easter’s mother and father shared their remarks, and Mayor Paula Hicks-Hudson presented Robert Easter Jr. with the key to the city.

Supporters of this event were overcome with emotions and had nothing but positive commentary about Easter. Travis Grant, DJ Big Trav of Toledo, said this moment was remarkable.

“This makes me feel great,” said Grant. “I’ve been telling people all day that I’ve never seen anything like this in Toledo before, and I’m really emotional about it because it makes me feel good, especially being a part of it. I hope that we can continue to use this energy to keep Toledo on track and to stay positive in the future.”

This event tributes a time of prosperity and celebration, as well as unity, moving forward toward the future. Anthony Arevedo, owner or Four Aces DJ explains that he believes this as a time to highlight the good that Toledo has to offer.

“It gives us pride; it gives us something other than the bad news we’ve been hearing every day,” said Arevedo.

Arevedo also says this is a great experience for adolescents. He is a part of the International Boxing Club, whose motto is “You don’t have to be a champion in the ring to be a champion in life.”

Mayor Paula Hicks-Hudson explained during her remarks that Easter is a positive influence on the youth of the city.

“It’s been a very positive influence for the city. It’s an opportunity for young people to see, and he’s a role model about determination, dreaming and working forward to take care of what his dream is, so it is a very positive day for us here,” Hicks-Hudson said.

Children had the opportunity to cheer in the champ’s float with him and sing along to tunes.

Hailey Lightner, a 5th grader at Rosary Cathedral, said she looks up to Easter, and that she wants to be a professional boxer because of him.

She is following her dreams, and she encourages others to do the same and wants people to follow this motto: “Keep following your dreams and once you get your dream just keep on going, don’t stop.”