Soccer ends weekend with a draw

UT women win one and lose one during away games

Justice Sunderland, Co-associate sports editor

The University of Toledo women’s soccer team traveled to play two Mid-American Conference games last weekend.

On Friday, the result was 1-1 draw against Akron and on Sunday they fell 1-0 to Buffalo. The Rockets now stand at 6-5-1 (1-2-1 MAC) on the season.

The Rockets led the game for almost 50 minutes before giving a goal in the final seconds, depriving them of the win. UT recorded eight shots on goal and committed only seven fouls.

Second-year Alena Sidwell scored her first career goal and fourth-year Broke Maletic and first-year Alex Troy both tallied a team-high four shots.

Maletic put the first shot of the game of goal forcing a save by Buffalo goalkeeper Annabelle Hegeman. The Rocket offense was aggressive early, getting three offside penalties in a three-minute span.

Toledo was aggressive almost the entire first half controlling the ball and running their offense. Finally, in the 38 minute mark, the aggressive play paid off when Sidwell took a pass from first-year Jordyn Greer.

Akron came out looking to even the score in the second half putting two shots on goal in the first ten minutes. Both attempts on goal were saved by Wilson.

UT responded with three shots of their own, forcing Hegeman into three saves. The Rockets controlled the ball for most of the half.

Then a foul on the Rockets gave Akron a free kick. Amy Rogozinski found Ashley Amato who headed it in to tie the game with just 21 seconds remaining in the regulation.

First-year Alex Troy attempted the first shot of overtime but it was blocked by the Akron defense. The Zips were the only team to put a shot on goal but Wilson made the save.

In the second overtime period, neither team got a real attempt to break the tie. Akron took two corner kicks just minutes before the game ended but were unable to capitalize.

On Sunday, the Rockets offense was running in place against Buffalo. They only recorded three shots on goal and no corner kicks.

Wilson made six saves in the game including four in the first half to keep the game scoreless. Third-year Isa Echeverri led the Toledo offense with just two shots.

Both team came out strong looking to score with four combined shots on goal in the first 20 minutes. But both defenses would lock down with only one more shot on goal the rest of the first half. The teams entered halftime tied 0-0.

It didn’t take long for the Buffs to break the tie. Moira Petrie scored her first goal of her career on a 20 yard dagger in the 47th minute.

Buffalo controlled the ball most of the second half. The Rockets recorded only one shot on goal in the second half. They still attempted to build their lead attempting four more shots. Troy attempted one last shot for the Rockets but it went wide of the goal.

The women return to the field Thurday Oct. 6 as they take on Central Michigan at 4 p.m. at Scott Park.