Basketball recieves $1 million donation from longtime supporters

Rachael Nearhoof /IC

Keith Boggs, Staff Reporter

Last week, the university of Toledo basketball team received a huge surprise when George and Leslie Chapman donated $1 million to the university to build a new basketball complex.

The complex, which will be completed within the next week or two, will include office space, a video room and will be conveniently located on the floor by the gym for the players to have easy access. The complex will be named after its donors as the Chapman complex.

“We’re so appreciative of the Chapmans,” said women’s basketball head coach Tricia Cullop. “I just got to know them a little bit over the years. I know that coach Kowalcyzk is really good friends with them. Their gift is going to help us down the road with a lot of things we want to accomplish.”

Though the complex is still being finished, players and coaches alike are already able to enjoy the benefits.

“We just had the chance to move into the office complex, and it’s state of the art. We’re so excited,” said Cullop. “Not only from our staff and current team, but to be able to walk recruits through this facility.”

As you would expect, the program hasn’t wasted time putting the facilities to use; not only for the players, but for the school, according to Cullop. The team plans to use the updated facilities as a recruiting tool to show just how much UT has to offer its potential players.

“I appreciate the comments George made about both of our programs,” Cullop said. ” He pays attention and he supports both of us (men’s and women’s teams). Their gift will go a long way toward the future of this program,” said Cullop.

The impact of the facility now can’t be overstated either. With state of the art offices and a video room, the way Toledo’s prepares for games will be improved as well, according to Cullop.

“We’ve got a video screen and white board to go along with it. We’ve got a projection screen and leather seats with the logos on it,” Cullop said. “It’s very impressive and has a wow factor when you walk in.”

According to coach Cullop, the players are ecstatic as well. The upbeat vibe from the team before their practice seemed to indicate just how much of a positive influence the new facility is.

“The players are excited for a new space,” Cullop said. “They come in and meet with our staff quite a bit. So to be able to have ‘roomier’ space to talk with our staff, whether it be academic or from a basketball standpoint, I think it’s going to turn into an asset for our basketball program.”

At the end of the day, Cullop says it’s all about the development of the players.

“When players are teaching other players, then we’re getting somewhere,” said Cullop. “The film room has become another venue to teach players how to play the game.”