Students hold post-election discussion

Charles George / IC

Arguably, for many people, this presidential election was about voting in opposition of one candidate. The multicultural organizations that gathered Wednesday Nov. 9 for an impromptu forum focused on venting frustrations and creating unity, and proved that more was at stake than the individual disdain of one candidate or the other.

The forum was hosted by the Muslim Student Association, Black Student Union, and Latino Student Union. Along with these organizations, members of Student Government, International Student Organization, and SPECTRUM were also present. Emotions ran high as the students voiced their concerns, hopes, and what they believe needs to be done to ensure safety in America under President-elect Donald Trump.

“I was emotional last night. I was literally crying. But here is the thing, it is really important to remain optimistic. But, for me, I honestly feel like this is the worst-case scenario. He is not only the president, but he has a senate and house that is republican,” one student said at the forum.

The student continued that Trump also has the ability to appoint Supreme Court justices who will be pro-life and anti-gay, threatening the rights of so many Americans. She expressed fear that the country will favor straight, wealthy, able-bodied white men.

Students shared some acts of racism they had experienced within the first 24 hours of election results. One Muslim student said she was told, “I can’t wait till your ass gets deported back” at a Toledo Starbucks. A Mexican student said they were told, “Well, at least some of the dirty Mexicans are going to get deported.”

Aside from venting frustrations, students also shared ideas and plans for what they need to do in order to overcome what some students say they feel is an inevitable threat to their rights.

“Organization is the key to success. Realistically, we need to start putting our names down and being accountable to our organizations like MSA, BSU, LSU,” said another student

Students lamented the need for sacrifice and compromise in order to protect one another during Trump’s presidency.

“We have to come together as a greater community. Does that mean we might have to be willing to protect someone we despise and cannot stand? Yes, it does. We have to be willing to give everyone the same protection, and soon as we start caring about everyone, hopefully they will care about us,” said another student.

MSA president Hedyeh Elahinia reminded the group that the people who voted to divide this country do not outnumber the people who voted not to.

“There should be no separate causes here,” Elahinia said. “All of our struggles here are one.”

Students are hopeful that people who did not vote for Trump because of his rhetoric will be vocal. They discussed the importance of speaking out against injustices.

“This isn’t a rally call for violence, but you cannot afford to let somebody step on you anymore. They voted and we heard them. So enough,” said one student. “Call that out when you see it.”

Students also voiced the need to love one another and try to bring understanding to those who voted for Trump.

“We aren’t here to fight white people. We aren’t here to fight the status quo. We want them to be better. I know there is good on this campus,” one student said.

Amal Mohamed, president of SG, urged students to stop labeling Trump voters as racist and sexist, despite the fact that she believes Trump is.

“Instead of making it us versus them, explain to them why that hurt you and how that affected you,” Mohamed said.

Along with loving one another and trying to build a bridge of understanding, a SPECTRUM member talked about the need to heal in order to move forward.

“I don’t care if you are out or if you question your sexual identity. This election was about us and every marginalized person in this room,” he said. “I want to let you know this is a healing space. You cannot fill someone’s heart up if your heart is empty. You need to take care of yourself and heal from this horrible, horrible act of hate that has happened in our country. “

The tone at the forum was to remain optimistic in a time of what feels like devastation to these students. They encouraged each other to continue to progress and fight for this country which belongs to everyone, including those who have been marginalized by society.

“This doesn’t stop the progress. We just have to keep working through it. This is our history and we have to fight to keep progress going,” said one student.

Another student promised to fight for the country she loves, even if it doesn’t love her back right now.

Mohamed reminded students that if they experience any sort of intolerance on campus, they should report it. SG ensures that this campus will remain safe for everyone.

One student pointed out the symbolism of the forum. The room was full of whites, blacks, Latinos, Muslims and LGBTQA, something that wouldn’t have happened years ago. He said it should motivate students to continue fighting for positive change.

At the end of the forum, an international student reminded the group how great the United States is. “The US is and will still be, hopefully, a great country and it’s not because of their president. It’s because of their people.”

The headline was changed from Students host anti-Trump meeting after election