UT reviews future of 11 college degree programs

Benjamin Morse, Staff Reporter

Eleven programs at the University of Toledo now stand at risk of being cut entirely or being offered cooperatively at Bowling Green State University as a result of a mandated review.

The UT board of trustees unanimously approved American studies, Asian studies, French, German, digital arts, global studies, art history, general business and commerce, athletic training, general geology and clinical laboratory science to be “considered for action” in this review.

According to a press release, the decision came in response to instructions from the Ohio Department of Higher Education and a governor’s college-affordability task force to review programs offered by public universities located in the same region.

Second-year political science major Alexander Siefart is currently enrolled in one of the programs under consideration.

“If UT cuts German or offers it cooperatively with BGSU, it would be unfortunate for me, as I am only in my second year of German study and I had planned to minor in it,” Siefart said. “I would only be able to continue if the classes were taught here at UT or if a shuttle was run between UT and BGSU. Without a car, any plan involving attending class in another city would be devastating to my plans.”

Course and program evaluations are based on enrollment and student performance.

An email from UT Media Relations Specialist Christine Billau stated that there are three options for the considered programs: maintaining and enhancing the programs, eliminating a program or collaborating with BGSU.

“Cutting the program in French and German would hurt the university’s standing academically,” said Ruth Hottell, chair of the French department. “I don’t know of any four-year universities without French and German programs.”

Provost and executive vice president for academic affairs Andrew Hsu will work with members of each of the 11 courses.

“We will ask the Faculty Senate to review this initial report and work with the faculty of the various programs to determine the best course of action,” Hsu said. “The state wants to make sure we take a careful look and do things that make sense. We are always vigilant.”

UT’s final course of action is due by December 31.