7 things to look forward to atUT

Emily Jackson, Managing Editor

The Big Event
UT students come together each year to thank the Toledo community in this one big day of service. Participants show their support by volunteering to clean up the neighborhoods surrounding campus. Projects include yard work, window washing, painting and much more.

Homecoming
Homecoming is UT’s longest standing tradition and has taken place every fall since 1923. This annual event is marked by an entire week of activities such as the pre-game pep-rally, concerts, bonfires, a parade and, of course, the football game. The purpose of Homecoming week is to bring students, alumni and community members together to celebrate the Gold and Blue and what it really means to be a Rocket.

The Battle of I-75
The University of Toledo vs. Bowling Green State University. This may be one of the greatest rivalries in all of collegiate athletics. For almost a century, the two have battled it out on the football field in hopes of victory, a trophy and bragging rights. Come out this fall and support your Rockets as they take on the Falcons and fight for an eight-year winning streak!

Student Appreciation Day
Student Appreciation Day may be one of the biggest days for food and fun. You’ll have to wait all year for it, but I assure you it is totally worth the wait! Food trucks, popcorn, free Toledo gear, puppies, inflatables, games, music and more will fill Centennial Mall just before summer break. This is one fun-filled day you won’t want to miss!

Songfest
Sororities, fraternities and co-ed student organizations face-off in an epic battle of song and dance at this annual event. Students strut their stuff with costumes and props as they compete for the top spot. But it’s not just about winning. This competition is one of UT’s oldest philanthropic events. Songfest raises funds for a different charity or cause each year. It’s acca-amazing!

Student Org Fair
From horseback-riding to quidditch to knitting, there’s something for everyone to try or get involved in. The annual Student Organization fair is held the first week of classes and is a great way to get connected. Academic, athletic, Greek and religious organizations will have informational tables set up outside in Centennial Mall. Meet people who have the same interests and passions as yourself and make some new friends along the way.

RockeTHON
Get ready for a 13-hour dance marathon for the kids! This annual event takes place each spring and helps raise funds for Mercy Children’s Hospital. Since 2001, students, faculty, family and friends have danced their way to raising almost one million dollars to support research and technology for the kids at Mercy.