Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
image_pdfimage_print

Waltz into Hogwarts

Rose Serrano and Emily Schnipke
December 1, 2015
Filed under Community

Magic will fill the air as witches and wizards gather together for a wonderful night of dancing. The University of Toledo’s Ballroom Dance Society will host their sixth-annual philanthropy Yule Ball on Dec. 6. The event will take place in the Student Union Auditorium from 7-11 p.m. “I encourage... Read more »

New Rocky’s Locker opens

Hannah Dearth, Staff Reporter
December 1, 2015
Filed under Community

The University of Toledo has opened a second location of Rocky’s Locker at the Franklin Park Mall. The new location, which opened Nov. 10, is centrally located within the mall, in the same aisle as the food court. Though a smaller location than the original store in Savage Arena, the new location... Read more »

Spreading smiles: Suzann Castore, The A-OK Lady

Joe Heidenescher, Community Editor
November 18, 2015
Filed under Community, Top Stories

Despite her diminutive stature, she’s impossible to miss. When I met her outside of the bookstore, she was decked in a flowing red cape, a blue turtle neck, bright floral leggings and vibrant red rain boots. But what I first noticed was her tremendous smile and overflowing jubilee. “You must be... Read more »

Local Toledo families host international students for Thanksgiving festivities

Lauren Gilbert, Copy Editor
November 18, 2015
Filed under Community

Your family can invite international students to Thanksgiving dinner next week as part of the fifth consecutive year of a hosting program sponsored by the University of Toledo Center for International Studies and Programs. Anyone in the Toledo community can volunteer to become a host family, according... Read more »

‘The Laramie Project’ will take the center stage with real life stories from Laramie, Wyoming

Emily Schnipke, Associate Community Editor
November 18, 2015
Filed under Community

An act of hate inspires a project of hope. When tragedy strikes, a town becomes split by their reactions. Most responded with compassion, but many turned to hate. The path to healing is not easy for the community of Laramie, Wyoming. The University of Toledo’s upcoming production of “The Larami... Read more »

UT students adopt-a-family for Christmas

Emily Schnipke, Staff Reporter
November 11, 2015
Filed under Community

The holidays are quickly approaching and through the Salvation Army, University of Toledo students and staff are helping those in need. Adopt-a-Family is a program run by the Salvation Army in the Toledo area that allows people to give back to the community. Like the name suggests, volunteers... Read more »

Calling Toledo home

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter
November 11, 2015
Filed under Community

On Wednesday, many get the day off to celebrate Veteran’s Day, a day to honor those who have served in the U.S. military. After their service, many vets come home to Toledo, where some are still met with obstacles. A large number of these service men and women are left unhoused once they... Read more »

Culture in a new light

Marla Gootee and Anna Glore, Staff Reporter and Community Editor
November 4, 2015
Filed under Community

In the middle of fall, a season where daylight decreases daily, students celebrate the Hindu Festival of Lights known as Diwali. Every year the Indian Students Cultural Organization celebrates the Diwali holiday by hosting their annual event called Diya, which means light in Hindu. “It’s basically... Read more »

Feeling comfy while looking fly

Joe Heidenescher, Features Editor
October 27, 2015
Filed under Community, Fashion

It’s starting to get a bit nippy outside boys, which means it’s time to put away the basketball shorts, the Nike Elites and burn your Sperry Topsiders (not just because it’s cold, but because they’re ugly). Here are some very simple tips to layering up, staying comfy and to looking like you aren’t... Read more »

30 days to write 50,000 words

Emily Schnipke, Staff Reporter
October 27, 2015
Filed under Community

Break out the pens and the paper because it’s time to write that novel you’ve always dreamed of. Starting Nov. 1, participants in National Novel Writing Month — commonly known as NaNoWriMo — will begin to write their first pages of a novel. By the end of the month, they will end up with a 50,000-word... Read more »

Why Halloween will never be the same

Abigail Sullivan, Director of Photography
October 21, 2015
Filed under Columns, Community, Halloween, Special

As a kid, there was nothing like Halloween. Not only was it the one day I could walk out of the house dressed as a mermaid without my mom telling me to go back inside and put on “real clothes,” but it was the day I could drown myself in sugar and no one would think twice. My mom would hand-make my ... Read more »

5 Halloween costumes in under 30 minutes

Emily Modrowski, Fashion Columnist
October 21, 2015
Filed under Community, Fashion, Halloween, Special

It’s 8:30 p.m. on Halloween night. You’re in your pajamas watching “Hocus Pocus” when your best friend texts you: “Hey. We’re going to a Halloween party. I’ll pick you up at 9.” You only have half an hour to get ready, but you don’t have a costume! Don’t freak out; here are five cos... Read more »

Serving the University of Toledo community since 1919.
Community