GarasuNoShiCon at Owens

Max Peltier

Anime has inspired a culture of its own where people often cosplay-dress up as their favorite characters and attend conventions which present this style of animation.

Anime and gaming fans travelled to Owens Community College to take part in Glass City Con III, also known as GarasuNoShiCon, July 9 and 10.

One of the many guests in attendance this year was Robert Axelrod, the voice of Lord Zedd from the “Power Rangers” television show.

Axelrod has also done voice work in several animes such as “Cowboy Bebop” and “Digimon.”

Another guest was a fire artist Anthony Doherty, known by his stage name Gwydion. He is not only known to be an excellent fire spinner, but he also eats and spits fire.

Artists are also featured in Glass City Con’s artist alley, such as Block Sprites who recreate people’s favorite videogame characters in Legos and web comic artists such as Del Borovic.

Some other artists had homemade plushies, stuffed figurines similar to stuffed animals, and chainmail, a type of armor made up of interlocking loops, for sale.

One of the many events open to participation was the popular game, “Eaten Alive,” a zombie themed live action role playing game.

One team is the survivors who defend themselves with Nerf blasters, the other is zombies that tag the survivors with their hands or melee weapons to turn the survivors into zombies.

A charity benefit auction for Child’s Play, an organization that donates toys, games, books, and cash for children who are currently sick in hospitals around the world, took place as well. Venders, along with artists, were asked to donate items to help the cause.

Glass City Con constantly screened anime movies throughout the convention. There were three separately themed screening rooms which played a large selection of anime throughout the weekend.

Glass City Con does not have a date set for next year yet, but judging by its popularity you may be able to expect it to be around next year.

Visit their website at www.glasscitycon.com for more information and future dates.