Toledo soccer stumbles to 0-2 start in MAC play

Marcus Dodson

The University of Toledo women’s soccer team struggled to find a win in the Mid-American Conference opening weekend, falling to Western Michigan 5-1 Friday and again to Eastern Michigan Sunday, 4-3. 
Toledo has now lost its last three games and has been outscored 13-4 over that span. 
“Collectively, we have yet to successfully address the breakdowns on the defensive side of the game,” said UT head coach Brad Evans. “And the last three games, those weaknesses have been magnified and are not acceptable. They will be addressed heavily.”  
On Friday, Sept. 27, the Rockets hosted the Broncos at Scott Park. Toledo was coming off a loss to Dayton where they fell 4-0. Throughout the season, UT has had periods where they’ve had defensive letdowns and has struggled to produce goals at crucial times. 
Against Western Michigan, the defensive and offensive struggles were exposed and taken advantaged of early and often in the game. 
WMU was able to score two goals before intermission, sending Toledo into the half facing a 2-0 deficit. After the half, the Broncos were able to provide three more goals before the Rockets had an answer. 
“Everyone has to get better from myself, to the assistant coaches, to the girls,” Evans said. “We’re going to work until the problem is solved - we have to.”
The Rockets struggled to maintain possession and control of the ball in the midfield, and they also struggled to push the ball forward. UT produced just four shots in a 90-minute duration.  
Toledo finally got on the scoreboard thanks to freshman Shelby Antonacci, who scored her second goal of the season in the 78th minute. 
UT fell to 3-6 overall and 0-1 in the Mid-American Conference. 
Toledo looked to rebound after their Friday defeat on Sunday at Eastern Michigan. The Rockets played more competitively throughout the game, but fell one goal shy in the end. 
The Rockets opened the game by allowing a quick goal to Eastern in the seventh minute. However, Toledo answered quickly with a goal of their own coming from junior Rio James who made the keeper miss and put the score back to even at 1-1 in the 12th minute. That was James’ first goal of the 2013 season, which couldn’t have come at a better time for her and her team.
The Eagles were then able to register back-to-back goals giving them an early 3-1 lead in the first half of the game. The Rockets, however, were not willing to give up just yet, answering again with a goal less than two minutes after EMU’s third goal.
Freshman Brooke Maletic headed one home for the Rockets in the 36th minute putting them back within one goal. 
The Toledo defense, however, had no answer for the Eagles’ attack, giving up a goal right before the half. 
“We’ve got to go back to the basics and being fundamentally sound,” Evans said. “We’ve got to put the pieces together in order to get a favorable outcome.”
Toledo was able to get one more back with a header from senior forward Rachel Macleod coming in the 60th minute putting the score at 4-3. MacLeod leads the MAC with eight goals and 18 points.
The Rockets pressed hard in the remaining minutes, but failed to find an equalizer. UT dropped their third straight game and second straight conference match. 
Toledo (3-7, 0-2) will be looking to pick up its first conference win this weekend where they host Buffalo on Friday, Oct. 4, and Akron on Sunday, Oct. 6.
Despite the 0-2 weekend, Evans still feels confident in this group.
“We’re not in a must-win predicament yet; we still have time to get better and improve, and that’s what we will do,” he said.