Toledo women flounder at home against No. 16 Ohio State

Marcus Dodson

The University of Toledo women’s swimming and diving team floundered at home last Saturday, losing to No. 16 Ohio State 206.5-93.5 at the UT Student Recreation Center.

Toledo junior Maria Bargardi was able to record two wins - one in the 100-yard backstroke and the other in the 200-yard backstroke - and senior Beth Rogers added a first-place finish in the 200-yard butterfly.

But it wasn’t enough to beat the Buckeyes.

“It’s a lot of fun hosting the No. 16 team in the country,” said head coach Chris Peters after the meet. “I think the team raced hard all day, highlighted by Maria’s two wins and Beth’s new pool record. Our senior leadership continues to impress me.”

Bargardi’s time of 57.21 tied Ohio State’s Lauren Davis for the victory in the 100-yard backstroke. She also placed first in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:02.13.

Senior Christina Noens finished a spot behind Bargardi in the 100-yard backstroke, finishing third with a time of 57.54.

In Rogers’ win in the 200-yard butterfly, she set a new pool record with a time of 2:01.51, besting her previous pool record of 2:01.52. She also had a third-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle and a second-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly.

In the diving event, the Rockets posted some gritty competition with senior Kristy Richart winning the one-meter diving and junior Allison Belcher placing first in the three-meter diving. Belcher also added a second-place finish in the one-meter dive.

Both divers reached NCAA Zone qualifying scores as Belcher obtained a score of 316.43 in the three-meter dive and Richart scored a 282.08 in the one-meter dive.

Toledo was able to send a combined total of 13 swimmers and divers to the podium.

Other members of the Rockets that helped contribute points included sophomores Lauren Comer - who added a third-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:52.94 - and Brooke Edwards, who placed third in the 50-yard freestyle.

Senior Rachel Johnson recorded a third-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle, a fourth-place finish in the 400-yard individual medley and a fifth-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke.

The Rockets return to the pool on Friday, Jan. 24, when they will host the I-75 rival Bowling Green Falcons.