Graduate students host 5th annual graduate symposium

Samantha Rhodes

Over 280 people from over 60 universities are expected to gather in the Student Union and Memorial Field House for the largest student-run research symposium in the Midwest.

This is the fifth year the University of Toledo’s Graduate Student Association (GSA) will host the annual Midwest Graduate Research Symposium (MGRS). Participants will spend the day giving oral and poster presentations based on research conducted by graduate students across the Midwest region.

The all-day, free event will take place March 29, 2014, in the Student Union and Memorial Field House. Meals will be provided for all participants.

Alcy Barakat, a first-year graduate student and GSA public relations committee chair, called the upcoming symposium a “fantastic opportunity” for graduate students of all colleges.

“For graduate students who need the chance to present their research in a homey environment, without the fees and travel of a conference and with the added bonus of judges in every discipline, this is every graduate student’s best opportunity to practice presenting their research,” Barakat said. “To starting graduate students who may not have research ready to present or for students soon to graduate, this day captures what it will soon be like for them to present their work.”

According to Barakat, over 60 universities from Ohio, Michigan and Indiana have been invited to attend and present their graduate student work and research, which will be judged within each academic discipline. Awards will go to the top presenters and the keynote address will be given by Thomas Wakefield, doctor and soon-to-be president of the UT Alumni Association.

Aaron Philip, a first-year graduate physician assistant student and president of GSA, said he is excited for the upcoming symposium and considers it a “good opportunity to network with students across the Midwest and country.”

“I am looking forward to having students come to UT and participate in the oral and poster presentations at the MGRS,” Philip said. “I am also excited to learn about 3D printing at the 3D printing panel at lunch… This is the third year I will be involved with the MGRS, and it has really been a fun and informative day each year.”

Philip describes the symposium as “collaborative, multidisciplinary and high-yield,” and due to the growing attendance each year, he estimates there will be over 280 people.

Graduate students who want to attend must register before March 7, 2014. Registration is free and can be completed at www.utoledogsa.com.

Barakat urges any graduate student “even remotely thinking of signing up for the MGRS” to “take the leap and do it.”

Though the symposium is a huge event for GSA each year, President Philip believes the organization is much more than a group of graduate students conducting research.

“The primary purpose of the GSA is for elected graduate and professional students to advocate for the graduate and professional student body at the administrative level and act as a liaison between the two groups,” Philip said.

Philip believes that graduate students are held to a higher level of expectation and are expected to be “producers of knowledge rather than just consumers of knowledge.”

“We are expected to be critical thinkers, good writers and dedicated to our work in a more responsible way,” Philip said.

Barakat said GSA is an important organization for graduate students because it has a voice in the Graduate Counsel, University Counsel and College of Graduate Studies.

GSA also has representation and affiliation with the National Association for Graduate and Professional Students, where many UT graduate students are able to connect and network, according to Barakat. This is just one of the many pros Barakat sees from joining the organization.

“It is a great networking tool, source of professional development and source of research awards to grad students, as well many travel grant awards that are easy to apply for once someone is an active member,” Barakat said.

Despite the professional attributes of the group, Barakat also feels it’s a place “for graduate students to share their experiences, both good and bad, and a place to better those experiences graduate students have.”

Jill Brown, a-third year graduate student studying experimental social psychology and a secretary for GSA, said she has enjoyed the chance to meet graduate students from other departments, learn about challenges they may be facing in their programs and to “make positive changes for graduate students across the university.”

By being an active member of GSA, Philip said his personal life has benefited.

“Because of the GSA, I have networked with over 200 graduate schools, made hundreds of friends at UT and outside of the university and have improved my public speaking ability and presenting skills,” Philip said.

Every graduate student is automatically a member of GSA, according to Brown. However, to be an active member and receive extra funding for travel to conferences and symposia to present research, students have to attend at least two meetings in a six-month time period.

According to Philip, GSA has over 4,950 members total and over 500 active members.

General meetings are on the third Thursday of each month at alternating locations between Main Campus and the Health Science Campus.

For more information, visit the GSA website at www.utoledogsa.com.