Zombies are coming

On Sept. 5, students will be encouraged to run for their lives during Survival of the Undead

Joe Heidenescher, Staff Reporter

Zombies will infiltrate the University of Toledo on Friday, Sept. 5 and students will be challenged to survive.

The Office of Recreation’s Survival of the Undead will begin at 10 p.m. and is free to all current UT students.

“Students will have to avoid infectious zombies from stealing their lives as they complete challenges,” said Abigail Vinciczky, cochair of Survival of the Undead and a third-year business administration major.

Vinciczky said there will be 9 challenges spread out across UT’s main campus. Each challenge will be sponsored by a UT student organization and will remain a surprise until the undead arrive.

“With the attention that zombies are receiving on TV, we thought having an event centered around them would be popular among students,” said Anna Crisp, co chair of Survival of the Undead and a second-year majoring in public health.

Crisp said the zombies and zombie make up will be supplied by Cedar Point and they will sponsor a challenge.

“Students will have two hours to complete the entire competition, and return to the Rec Center for prizes, and a post-apocalyptic party,” Vinciczky said.

The post apocalyptic party at the Recreation Center will begin at 12 a.m. and end at 2 a.m.

“Participants can join us after the event for the post-apocalyptic party where there will be free event t-shirts and prizes awarded to survivors as well as those infected,” Crisp said.

Crisp said student organizations have been encouraged to donate prizes and awards for the party.

“We are excited to include many student organizations in this event,” Crisp said.

A few sponsoring organizations include: Cedar Point, REC Council, VOICE of Honors, University YMCA, Resident Student Association, International Student Association, UT French Club, Lambda Sigma Sophomore National Honor Society and International Service Learning.

“Survival of the Undead is an ideal opportunity to promote your organization to students across campus,” said Crisp. “We asked that information about the organization and how to get involved was included with each organization’s donation.”

Crisp said the goal of Survival of the Undead is to get students familiar with and more involved on campus.

“As a First Weeks UT event, Survival of the Undead will encourage students to participate in safe, collegiate activities,” said Crisp.

Vinciczky said she hopes the event will give the students something to look forward to as the fall semester begins.

Along with challenges and zombies, there will be free food, a live DJ and organizations to get involved with.

“It is going to feel like a glorified adult version of tag mixed with tasks that take brain and brawn power,” Vinciczky said. “I hope it gives students the chance to unwind, let loose, have fun and help them feel apart of the UT family.”

Vinciczky said students will be energized with fear and excitement to be involved in the UT atmosphere.

​“I think I am most looking forward to the atmosphere and excitement of the event,” Crisp said. “I helped film the promotional video, and my adrenaline was pumping by just participating in that.”

To see the Survival of the dead promotional video, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROatQlz9kj8