Rockets were out-scored 9-0 in two games over weekend

Jackson Rogers, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo women’s soccer team continued their six-game road trip with a 2-0 loss to Xavier on Friday before falling 7-0 on Sunday to No.16-ranked Kentucky.
The Rockets (1-0-3, MAC 0-0) found themselves trailing early for their third consecutive game. Musketeer’s (2-1-0) senior Catherine Allon would find the back of the net in the eighth minute which proved to be the deciding factor for the home team.

Toledo’s best opportunity for a goal came in the first half of the game off a shot from sophomore Regan Price that ricocheted off the crossbar.

Xavier kept the pressure on in the first half, out-shooting the Rockets six-to-three. The Musketeers capitalized on a chance in the 30th minute off the foot of sophomore Skylar Groth to make the lead 2-0.

“The match was a tale of two halves,” said Head Coach T.J. Buchholz. “We had some bad moments in the first half that put us down early. Xavier played a better match than us.”

The Rocket defense buckled down in the second half only allowing Xavier to record one shot.

Senior goalie Sam Tiongson was busy in goal as she was credited with five saves in the match.

Toledo finished the match outshooting Xavier 9-7 but could not find the back of the net.

“We didn’t do what we needed to do offensively today,” Buchholz said. “We had a great second half, but it was just too late in the match, as we were already down by two goals.

“We’re going to learn from our mistakes.”

On Sunday, the team traveled to Kentucky, where they ran into the No.16-ranked Wildcats who would put on a clinic defeating the Rockets 7-0.

Toledo would be playing catch-up early as UK would start the game with a goal in the second minute from junior Michaela Dooley. Despite the early goal, the Rocket defense settled down for the rest of the half, as they kept the score at 1-0, despite facing nine shots.

Kentucky showed why they were nationally ranked in the second half as the Wildcats scored early and often. Junior Zoe Swift would open up the scoring just four minutes into the half.

Toledo’s only chance came from junior Isa Escheverri in the 52nd minute, but the shot went just over the woodwork.

UK would counter quickly after the failed UT chance with a goal from junior Jade Klump in the 59th minute and then just 44 seconds later a goal from Dooley to stretch the Wildcat lead to 4-0.

Dooley, however was not done scoring. The junior would cap off her hat trick with another goal just six minutes after her second one.

Goalie Sam Tiongson was replaced by junior Nicole Jablonski for her first game action of the season following Dooley’s goal.

Kentucky wrapped up the game with goals from Allie Gorgol and Sophie Babol for the final score of 7-0.

Toledo will close out their six-game road trip next weekend at No. 10 Pepperdine on Friday at 6 p.m. and at Loyola Maramount on Sunday at 1 p.m.