Rockets drop fifth straight road game

Jenna Nance, staff reporter

The Rockets closed out their six-game road trip with a 3-0 loss to No. 19-ranked Pepperdine on Friday and a 1-0 double overtime to Loyola Marymount on Sunday.

After starting the season off with a 3-2 overtime win against Detroit, UT dropped their last five games and has been outscored 16-0 in that span.

The Rockets (1-0-5) started Friday’s game out strong, holding nationally-ranked Pepperdine scoreless in the first half.

Toledo had two opportunities to score from senior Megan Connor and sophomore Regan Price but both were ultimately unable to finish.

Though in the 49th minute, the Wave (4-1-1) would finally make their way onto the scoreboard. Pepperdine midfielder Bri Visalli ripped a shot from 30 yards out finding its home in the right corner of the net.

Just minutes later defender Jamie Van Horn would record a brace on headers during two set pieces in the 54th minute and in the 65th minute.

Pepperdine would finish the game outshooting the Rockets 14-7. UT senior keeper Sam Tiongson recorded four saves during that contest.

“We need to continue to develop our team as a whole but mostly we need to finish,” said Head Coach T.J. Buchholz. “We need to figure out how to score goals.”

On Sunday, Toledo traveled to Los Angeles, Calif. where they took on the Loyola Marymount Lions.

The pace of play was controlled by LMU but the Rockets did not shy off easily.

Toledo had its opportunities in the first half with three shots on goal but the struggle to find a goal continued. The defense remained strong for the Rockets as GK Sam Tiongson was faced with three corner kicks and four shot attempts in the first half but kept the Lions off the scoreboard in the first half.

“We played well on the defensive side of the ball,” Buchholz said. “Handling this challenge has been good for our team. We’re playing well and making progress.”

After 90 minutes of play the game remained scoreless, sending the two teams into Golden Goal overtime. After the first period of OT, both teams put on the pressure but it still remained an even battle resulting into a second overtime.

The second period of OT was action-packed and went down to the last minute. Toledo had many chances in the 2OT but eventually with seven seconds to go in OT, Melissa Lewis received a cross from Sarah Sanger from 34 yards out, giving the Lions their third win of the season.

The Rockets were outshot by Loyola Marymount 17-11 in the double overtime loss. After completing the difficult road trip the Rockets are looking forward to the rest of the season and their first home opener.

“These games have prepared us for the MAC season,” Buchholz said. “It’s not about how you play at the beginning of the season, but how you play at the end of the season.”

Toledo will host Oakland in its home opener at Scott Park on Friday, Sept. 11 at 5 p.m.