Rocket shines at Firestone

Senior Otto Black makes his third Top 5 finish of the year

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior Otto Black stairs down the green in preparation for a putt at the Fri Invitational in Akron,Ohio on Monday. Black finished in second place at eight-under par.

Justice Sunderland, Sports reporter

The Toledo golf team traveled to Akron to compete in the Firestone Invitational two-day tournament at the Firestone Country Club, par 72 on Monday and Tuesday.

The Rockets finished the tournament tied for tenth place, shooting a team score 12 over par 876.

This was Toledo’s first time playing at Firestone since 2011 when they finished eleventh out of 17 teams at thirteen-over par. UT was then led by former Rocket Chris Selfridge who tied for ninth at four-under par 212 (74,67,71.)

This year Toledo was joined by fellow Mid-American Conference members Ball State, Eastern Michigan and Ohio University in the Firestone Invite. 12 other teams from various universities were also present.

After the first 36 holes of the tournament the Rockets finished the day in twelfth place at ten-over par (291-295).

The Maryland Terrapins held a four-shot lead over host the University of Akron, after the first day shooting seven-under (284-285) as a team. Maryland would go on to win the Tournament finishing at eight-under par (856) and a two-shot edge over the Zips.

Toledo was paced by senior Otto Black who stood alone in second place in the individual standings at seven-under par (69-68) after the opening rounds just one shot off the lead behind the Terrapins’ David Kocher. The fourth-year player took control of the course in the opening day recording 10 birdies and three bogeys.

Black finished the tournament with a second place finish at eight-under par (208), one stroke behind Kocher who finished at nine-under par (207). It was Black’s third Top 5 finish of the season and the ninth of his UT career.

Sophomore Colin Joseph was the next closest Rocket at four-over par (220) to finish tied for 43rd place. Finishing just four shots behind him were sophomore Stephen Watts and freshman Spencer Shoemaker who both finished at eight-over par (224) to stand tied for 55th.

Toledo will travel to Carmel, Ind. to take part in the Crooked Stick Invitational hosted by Indiana University on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 12 and 13.