Rockets prepare for up-coming season

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Junior guard Jonathan Williams lays the ball up in an exhibition game against Hillsdale on Nov. 03 2013.

Marcus Dodson, Sports Editor

The University of Toledo’s men’s basketball team will be swapping out the old for the new as they prepare for the 2015-16 season.

UT is replacing three leading scorers from last year’s team that finished 20-13 on the season. Current graduate and former first team All-Mid-American Conference point guard Julius Brown averaged 16.3 points per game to lead the team last year.

Toledo also lost third team All-MAC players guard Justin Drummond and forward J.D. Weatherspoon who averaged 13.1 and 12.9 ppg respectfully to graduation as well.

“We got to be disciplined,” said junior guard Jonathan ‘Jon-Jon’ Williams. “With us being young we have to listen to what coach wants us to do and try our best to execute.”

The Rockets return only two starters from last year, senior center Nathan Boothe — who’s been a starter since he’s stepped onto campus — and Williams. This team will have only one senior, three juniors, one sophomore and six freshmen; an unusual feel for UT fans.

“[Jon-Jon] has a knack to score,” said Head Coach Todd Kowalczyk. “With him, we need him to become more consistent. [Nate] needs to touch the ball a lot more. Last year we had so many scoring options that he sometimes didn’t touch the ball enough.”

Both finished the season averaging double-digits scoring with 10 ppg and will be taking over as the leaders.

“I’m up for the challenge,” Williams said. “We have some good players that will play around me well that I can also get good shots for. And with [Nate] in the paint, this could be an exciting year.”

Boothe and Williams won’t be alone with helping the freshmen as returning bench players juniors Jordan Lauf and Zach Garber along with sophomore Stuckey Mosley are primed to take on bigger roles this season.

“I think the key to building a good culture is by recruiting good guys from good families,” Kowalczyk said. “I thought we had the best culture we’ve ever had this spring with our six returning guys.

“They worked extremely hard and are excited about playing for one another.”

Toledo also added a piece to the puzzle for the 2016-17 season with the addition of Steve Taylor Jr. who transferred from Marquette after last season.

He will not be able to play this year due to NCAA transfer policies that forces a transfer student to miss a full season, but he will provide senior leadership in the locker room for this unexperienced team.

The Rockets’ strength this season will come from the front court with additions of incoming freshmen Taylor Adway, Luke Knapke and Nate Navigato to play alongside of the veteran Boothe.

“All three of our incoming frontcourt players bring something different to the table,” Kowalczyk said. “Taylor is long and athletic, Luke has a great feel for the game in addition to tremendous length and Nate is tremendously skilled.”

The freshmen will be used as an arsenal of weapons for Kowalczyk as he is ready to go 10 deep this year.

“Having that type of versatility will provide us different ways we can approach things both offensively and defensively,” Kowalczyk said.

The Rockets have prepared for this young team with a much lighter schedule compared to ones in seasons past that have seen elite teams such as Kansas, Duke and VCU.

“[It’s] more manageable,” Kowalczyk said. “I didn’t want to overwhelm them playing some of those elite teams on the road. But we play some good mid-major conference teams and will be taking a trip up to Alaska that will challenge us too.”

UT will start their 2015-16 season off in Savage Arena against West Virginia Tech on Nov. 14 at 2:30 p.m.