Keith’s keys to the game: Eastern Michigan Edition

Keith Boggs, Sports Reporter

In Toledo’s hunt for an undefeated season the No. 22 ranked Rockets stomped Eastern Michigan 63-20 to remain unbeaten at 6-0.

Keith’s keys to the game:

Defused Rocket

Starting outside linebacker Jaylen Coleman left the game in the first quarter with what appeared to be a lower leg injury. The injury didn’t appear to look very good, and Coach Campbell’s prognosis after the game was bleak.

“Jaylen will probably be out for a while,” said Campbell. “He probably broke his leg.”

While the backups are well prepared, his lost will be felt.

“Jaylen is a leader on this team,” said sophomore running back Terry Swanson. “This season will be a tribute to him.”

No Sacks No Problem

Coming into the season, the biggest concern for the Rockets on paper was their offensive line. Those concerns were apparently overblown, as Toledo’s offensive line is one of two teams that have yet to allow a sack this season. The Rockets streak is still alive through 206 passing attempts so far.

Let the Monday pizza party continue boys.

Swanson’s big run

For the second straight game, running back Terry Swanson broke off a run of at least 80 yards…. But brought down inside the five.

After being backed up at their own six-yard line, Swanson broke lose from the pack and scampered 90 yards down the sideline. Just like in last week’s game against Kent State, Swanson was tracked down inside the five-yard line to allow Kareem Hunt to come in to finish the job.

Swanson’s run of 90-yards was the longest rush in school history to not result in a touchdown.

Field Goals

After making a 51-yard field goal into the wind in the first quarter, Eastern Michigan kicker Dylan Mulder was sent out in the second quarter to attempt a 54 yarder.

Toledo blocked the kick, and linebacker Chase Murdock returned the ball 45 yards for a touchdown, with 1:11 left in the quarter.

Crowded Backfield

The Rockets success this year is starting to lead to them having first world problems so to say. With the Mid-Americans Conference most talented stable of backs you’ll find, it hasn’t been easy getting everyone touches.

After filling in admirably for an injured Kareem Hunt and Terry Swanson, Damion Jones-Moore and Marc Remy have been relegated to more of a reserve role, seeing limited reps when Hunt and Swanson are present.

The Rockets rushed for 238-yards as a team and finished the day off with 611-yards of total offense.