UT drops fifth straight game with 74-63 loss to St. Bonaventure

Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior point guard Brenae Harris lays the ball up against Findlay in the Rockets 82-51 triumph.

Marcus Dodson, Sports Editor

The University of Toledo women’s basketball team dropped its fifth consecutive game to start off the 2015 season, losing 74-63 to St. Bonaventure on Sunday.

The Rockets were led by senior Ana Capotosto with 15 points and 7 rebounds. She was one of four Rockets to score in double-figures.

Sophomore Janice Monakana finished with 12 points and six rebounds before fouling out. Senior Brenae Harris and sophomore Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott finished with 11 points apiece and accounted for all eight team assists, with five and three respectfully.

Toledo finished the afternoon shooting just 40 percent from the field and 36 percent from three-point land.

Katie Healy led the Boonies with 18 points and seven rebounds before fouling out. Nyla Rueter and Miranda Drummond finished with 17 apiece.

St. Bonaventure shot it well, finishing with a 50 percent team field goal percentage and was perfect from the charity stripe in the second half.

Toledo started the game off strong and held a 9-6 lead at the 3:41 mark in the opening period. Four different Rockets tallied points in the first six-plus minutes of the game.

Toledo continued to hold onto their lead in the second quarter off a three-point field goal by Bravo-Harriott and a layup from Capotosto to make the score 16-12 with 5:42 left before the break.

SBU then went on a 15-5 run over the next four minutes to take a 27-21 advantage into the locker room.

The Rockets would make it a one-possession affair after a pair of threes from Bravo-Harriott and Capotosto to trim the margin to 38-35 with 2:52 left in the third quarter.

Unfortunately for Toledo, the Bonnies responded with a 14-4 run to jump out to a 52-39 lead with 8:12 left in regulation.

The Rockets would make one last run when they cut things to 54-48 after a trio of threes but could would not get any closer.

SBU’s Rueter scored 14 points in the final period to give the Bonnies the 11-point home triumph. The all-conference guard converted four field goals and all four of her free throws in the final quarter to lift the Bonnies to its first ever victory over UT.

The Rockets will now return home for the first time in almost three weeks when they Host Atlantic-10 power Dayton (5-1) on Wednesday, Dec. 2. The opening tip is scheduled for 11 a.m. in Savage Arena and can be seen on ESPN3.

UT will host its fifth-annual Rocket Women’s Basketball Educational Day in conjunction with the contest against the Flyers.

Schools from Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan for eighth grade students or younger, teachers, administrators and chaperones are invited to spend the day in Savage Arena with the Rockets, as well as celebrate education and learning.