Sami: The events that shaped me

Shagufta Sami, IC Columnist

“Fifty-one kilograms. One hundred and twelve pounds.” It’s all I took with me to the U.S. two years ago.

It seems like just the other day when I wrote my first column for The Independent Collegian. And now that I am graduating, it sure has been a long journey. It is inevitable that life, lessons and relationships will change in our day-to-day lives. It is inevitable — we will all face new challenges and things may seem a little different in the year ahead. I wouldn’t say it was all freedom and independence, rainbows and flower showers. It was rough. I had days of homesickness, stress, financial problems and depression, and days I wanted to be with my friends from back home. But as I look back on my journey — a journey that started out with hesitant steps, cautious of stepping into dangerous pits — I see just how far I have progressed both academically and socially. Despite the difficulties of my journey, good memories float in the waters of this voyage.

It’s very difficult and challenging to step out of one’s shoes. I’ve participated in different life experiments — both serious and funny — but new nonetheless.

When I started my first job, I had to learn a lot, which wasn’t hard at all. I loved it because I was prepared to learn. But when it came to the different work styles, communicating and using common sense, I was failing. And this gets to you. It was crazy. I felt like I was making a fool of myself every single day, and I felt discouraged. It got to a point where I felt like a failure. And I can’t afford to feel like that.

I prayed to God, to ease my mind and to make life easier for me. And for days onward, I worked harder than ever. And believe it or not, things definitely started turning up for me. My boss — Marc Miller — never made me feel like the weird one. He was one of the best bosses I have had. I wasn’t sure if it was my boss making it easier on me or if it was my learning everything quicker. But whatever it was, it definitely gave me a lot of confidence. It is very important to have faith in God and in yourself; things will turn out fine, eventually.

During my second semester, I had a small financial dilemma. It’s common knowledge that education is costly for any international student. I was stressed to a point when I didn’t know what to do. Now, I am a person with a lot of pride. It takes a lot for me to ask for financial support from others. At that point I happened to come across this amazing person. It wasn’t what he helped me with, but rather how he helped me, by giving me advice. I still remember his words, “Hold your head high!” Just that! And that was all it took: a little push to my confidence and the assurance that everything will work out. Head held high, shoulders straightened, I worked my way out of it. How I solved my financial condition wasn’t as important as those words of encouragement.

It is these memories that taught me some great lessons in life. I had some amazing and inspirational people around me. Thus, I would be a fool to not call myself lucky. I have learned both good and ugly lessons from each and every individual I’ve met. They have all guided, molded and shaped me. As I face and tackle the inevitable changes in life, these things will be very important for me.

To all the graduating students, it is very important to hold onto your value system, your work ethic and most importantly, your humanity. It is these qualities that will guide you further on your journey. Today’s achievements may fade or even be forgotten. The applause may become a distant memory and our certificates may gather dust on a shelf or in a drawer. But we will always be remembered for helping someone, for making someone feel special, and for being the kind of person that others enjoy spending time with.

Our life is a remarkable creation and yes, life is definitely going to become a little “shaken up and stirred” from time to time. It’s important to take everything in stride and enjoy a new adventure.

Shagufta Sami is a second-year computer science graduate student.