Four finalists left in University of Toledo’s search for a new provost

Joe Heidenescher, Community Editor

The University of Toledo announced on Feb. 3 that the search for a new provost and executive vice president for academic affairs has been narrowed down to a final four candidates.

The position is currently filled in an interim capacity by John Barrett. The former provost, Scott Scarborough, left to become the president of the University of Akron in July 2014.

The university announced the four finalists on Wednesday, which include:

• Christopher Keil McCord, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Northern Illinois University

According to the provost position description on the UT website, “The ideal candidate for Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs will be a strategic and visionary leader, with a strong track record of academic accomplishment and a demonstrated commitment to academic excellence, innovative undergraduate education and interdisciplinary studies, graduate education, world-class research, faculty development, and diversity in the faculty, staff and student body.”

With this job description in mind, a search committee of 14 members was tasked with finding the new provost that best fits the UT community. The committee is led by co-chairs Chris Ingersoll, dean of the College of Health Sciences, and Kaye Patten-Wallace, senior vice president for student affairs.

“When you look at the present depth of our academic programs,” Patten-Wallace said, “it’s essential we have a leader who can come in and take the range, and move us forward in terms of our agenda for advancing the university…. Having a chief academic officer that’s second in command to the president to lead that academic initiative is critical.”

Patten-Wallace said student voices and opinions are being included in the process through spots on the committee for the Student Government and Graduate Student Association presidents. One student perspective is the input of SG President Cody Spoon, who is a member on the committee.

“What makes the University of Toledo so unique is that we are a comprehensive university,” Spoon said, “so finding a provost that actually had provost experience or high administrative experience with a comprehensive or similar to a comprehensive university is really hard to come by.”

Besides being given a chance to interview candidates and help narrow them down, the UT community also has the chance to ask questions in a series of open forums, similar to the presidential search conducted during the 2014-15 academic year.

Each candidate will speak at two open forums, on main campus and the medical campus, where attendees can ask questions. These forums will be held between Feb. 10 and Feb. 19.

When you look at the present depth of our academic programs, it’s essential we have a leader who can come in and take the range, and move us forward in terms of our agenda for advancing the university…. Having a chief academic officer that’s second in command to the president to lead that academic initiative is critical.”

— Kaye Patten-Wallace, senior vice-president for student affairs

Patten-Wallace said a candidate should be chosen after the forums have taken place, which will help narrow down the candidates further. Patten-Wallace said a candidate should be chosen by the end of March.

“As we talk to the candidates, all of them understand the importance of students, and being here for our students,” Patten-Wallace said.

Patten-Wallace said the best way to maintain focus on students is through a healthy relationship with the faculty and providing the faculty with the resources they need to best educate students.

According to the job description, “the Provost is responsible for defining and pursuing institutional, educational, research, and funding priorities, with operating authority over the academic budget of the university.”

Wed., Feb. 10 — Christopher Keil McCord, 1:15 to 2:15 p.m. —SU Room 2592 and 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. — Health Education Building Room 100 on Health Science Campus