Toledo splits weekend to YSU and ICU

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior Emily Mazzola gathers herself for a lefty forehand return. Mazzola was victorious in two straight sets over YSU.

Keith Boggs, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo women’s tennis team split their home matches this weekend at the Shadow Valley Tennis Club with a 4-3 win over Youngstown State on Saturday and a 5-2 defeat to University of Illinois-Chicago on Sunday.

Senior Emily Mazzola won in two straight sets for the Rockets in the No. 1 singles, defeating YSU’s Annina Brendel 6-0, 6-2. Sophomore Colleen O’Brien followed up with a win in the No. 2 singles beating Julianna Heino 6-3 in both sets.

The Penguins picked up their first win of the day in the No. 3 singles. Sofia Macias won the final two sets 6-1 after dropping the first set 6-3 to UT’s Sidnay Huck.

YSU’s Nehel Sahni followed up the win with one of her own with an exciting match in the No. 4 singles. Sahni defeated Toledo’s Megan Miller 6-2, 5-7, 7-5.

UT’s Claire Aleck broke the tie breaker, trumping Ana Store 6-3 in two sets in the No. 5 singles match.

Victoria Ferry of YSU tied the game at 3-3 before the doubles competition, defeating Toledo’s Lauren Thai 6-2 in two sets.

The Rockets secured the match victory with 6-0 wins in both the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.

Toledo returned to the courts Sunday morning, this time to face off with the Flames of UIC. The Flames (1-1) proved to be a solid test for Rockets.

UIC went up early on Toledo, winning two of three doubles sets. Oana Manole and Rachel Comber of UIC defeated Mazzola and Huck 6-4 to take the No. 1 doubles.

The Rockets duo of Rani Goodland and Mackenzie Bowman defeated the Flames in the No. 2 doubles 6-4 leaving the No. 3 doubles to decide which team received the point for the match.

UIC’s Bianca Zuzu and Jackie Tansarnai overcame the tandem of Toledo’s Lauren Thai and Claire Aleck, 6-4 to claim the point for the Flames.

The Rockets once again got off to a fast start. Huck quickly dispatched of Manole by a score of 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 3 singles.

O’Brien continued her solid weekend by fighting off Hahn 7-6, 6-3 in a tough-fought battle in the No. 2 singles.

However, the Rockets would fail to pick up another win on the night and dropped the remaining four singles matches.

The tough loss dropped Toledo to 2-4 on the early season.

The Rockets return to the courts in two weeks, this time on the road. They’ll first travel to Cincinnati for a matchup with the Bearcats at 5 p.m.

The travel continues as they head to Miamisburg, Ohio to face off with the Raiders of Wright State.