CMU snaps Toledo’s four-game win streak

Rockets fall 77-69 on the road to Central

Rachel Nearhoof/IC

Junior center Zach Garber throws it down in UT’s dominating 93-49 home victory over Miami of Ohio.

Marcus Dodson, Sports Editor

The University of Toledo men’s basketball team fell 77-69 on the road to Central Michigan on Tuesday, snapping its four-game win streak.

With the loss, the Rockets dropped from the top spot in the Mid-American Conference West division and now trail Ball State by a game.

UT (16-10, 7-6 MAC) was led senior Nathan Boothe with team-highs 23 points and 10 rebounds. Joining him in double-figures were juniors Jonathan Williams and Zach Garber with 16 and 11 points respectively.

Williams had a rough night shooting the ball like many Rockets, and finished 0-of-7 from beyond the arch.

Toledo was held to just 12.9 percent from three-point land and 37.9 percent from the field.

Central (14-12, 7-6 MAC) was paced by junior Braylon Rayson with a game-high 26 points, knocking down 7-of-11 from beyond the arch. He also grabbed a team-high 9 rebounds. Senior Chris Fowler contributed 16 points, 8 rebounds and a game-high 5 assists.

Rayson knocked down a 3-pointer for the first points of the game to give Central an early lead.

Boothe hit a jumper at the 17:10 mark to give UT its first lead of the game, 6-5, but it was short-lived as CMU went on a 12-2 run over the next six minutes.

Toledo chipped away at the Chippewas and tied the game up at 20 after sophomore guard Stuckey Mosley’s layup at the 8:05 mark.

The Rockets took over the lead after a corner trey by junior Jordan Lauf to take a 23-20 lead.

Central then caught fire from beyond the arch going on a 16-4 run and taking a 36-27 lead with just under three minutes left in the quarter.

Garber knocked down a pair of free throws after a CMU foul to cut the lead to seven but Central finished the half with three consecutive treys’ and took a 45-29 advantage into the locker room.

The Chippewas came out the break scoring first but the Rockets cut into CMU and trailed 51-42 after a Boothe three.

With 10:19 left in the game, freshman Jaelan Sanford knocked down a three to cut the lead inside of ten for the first time in the second half at 58-50.

Toledo continued trying to take back the lead and trailed by just three after a pair of Boothe free throws with just over five minutes left in the game.

The next three possessions for UT resulted in missed 3-point attempts and allowed Central to take a 68-62 lead with under four minutes to play.

The Rockets would get as close as 3 points to the lead but couldn’t get over the hump, falling 77-69 on the road.

Toledo returns to the court on Saturday when they travel to face Eastern Michigan. Tip-off is scheduled for noon.