Taking on a new role

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Sophomore Nancy Kessler grinds towards the basket against a Ball State defender last season.

Jenna Nance, Associate Sports Editor

There is no doubt that basketball is a physical, high-contact sport. Day in and day out, athletes are put to the test both physically and mentally.

Nancy Kessler, sophomore center out of St. Catherine’s, Ontario, is no different. Standing at 6’3, Kessler not only brought physical play to the Rockets, but was also fast and ran the floor well.

During her time at UT, she played in 30 games, averaging 1.4 points and 1.4 rebounds in 7.2 minutes.

After sustaining her fourth concussion in her short year-and-a-half collegiate career, Kessler has been officially ruled out as medically disqualified.

“Hearing the news, it’s hard,” Kessler said. “You don’t foresee that ever happening in your career and it’s hard dealing with not being able to ever see your full potential reached.”

As a junior in high school at St. Francis Secondary, Kessler obtained her first concussion that kept her away from the game for three months. Kessler was a vital member of her high school team, averaging 20 points and eight rebounds per game.

After going through all the necessary concussion protocol, Kessler said she was more than ready to step back on the court.

“I was never scared to play again,” Kessler said.

After staying healthy in her senior year, she was diagnosed with her second concussion in early January of her freshman year here at Toledo. Occurring during practice, this concussion did not keep her out as long as her previous, but still she did not return until a month later.

In addition to playing collegiately, Kessler was a member of her U-19 Canadian National Team and represented Canada in the 2015 FIBA U-19 Women’s World Championships this past summer. Her third concussion happened late August of this year while a member of team Canada, resulting in a two-week recovery period.

Her most recent concussion, however, will serve as the one that will end her career. In late December, Kessler sustained her fourth concussion and the third in one calendar year. The severity of the situation was not lost on Kessler’s doctors and coaches, resulting in her choosing to become medically disqualified.

“I’m sad for Nancy because I thought she had a bright future ahead of her in basketball,” said Head Coach Tricia Cullop. “But the good news is that she still has a bright future ahead of her in her professional career.”

While Nancy didn’t see many minutes on the court, she was still able to have a lasting impression on both her teammates and coaches with her willingness to always keep improving and to be the best she can be.

According to her coach, Kessler never took playing basketball for granted.

“Nancy was the kind of player that always put in extra time,” Cullop said. “She did everything we ever asked her to do because she wanted to get better and she wanted to help her team.”

With her most recent diagnosis, Kessler has been dealing with lingering symptoms since December. Severe headaches, lack of concentration and sensitivity to light are just some of the symptoms she has been dealing with every day.

Today, though, Kessler says that her headaches are becoming less frequent and less intense.

Kessler may not be able to lace up and step on the court again, but that does not mean she will no longer be a member of the women’s basketball program.

“It is a big part of me to still be a member of this team,” said Kessler. “I’m really excited to stay a part of Toledo.”

Cullop says that when Kessler is ready to come back, the team will have a new role for her whether that is keeping the clock, keeping statistics or just encouraging her teammates, Kessler will remain a Toledo Rocket.

“I think that her still wanting to be a part of the team and help us out says a lot about her character and who she is,” said senior guard Brenae Harris. “We miss Nancy, it’s like a piece is missing and we’re excited to have it back.”

Kessler says that the support from her teammates and the community are what has helped her get through this experience.

“I’m still learning from this experience,” Kessler said. “But I’ll definitely get over this and be able to help others who go through something like this as well.”

Right now, Kessler’s focus is on her academics and finishing her degree here at UT while remaining on scholarship.

“Nancy is a very conscientious student,” Cullop said. “We want her to be very successful academically here so that’s the number one priority.”

Kessler will be missed on the court, but Cullop says having her back around practice has already brought the players’ spirits up.

“She is a great teammate,” Harris said. “All around on and off the court she is very unselfish.”

The Rockets have four games left in the regular season before they look to play in the Mid-American Conference tournament. Toledo plays their next game at home on Feb. 24 against MAC foe Eastern Michigan. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.